📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing same document on more than one Mac

If I create a file and close it on mac1 and then move to mac2 to edit it, how long should it take for the file to move from mac1 to the cloud and then to mac2? Is there a way to force the movement between mac1 and mac2 and vice versa. I found today that when I returned to mac1 after updating the file on mac2 last night, that the version available on mac1 was the original version and not the one updated on mac2! How do I insure that I am opening the latest version? thanx

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 2:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 2:39 PM

If the file is located on iCloud it is synchronized across all devices logged into/access the file on iCloud. Opening on one computer, making changes and saving the file, then opening the same file on another device will open the modified file. I don't know what you did to interrupt the synchronization.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 11, 2022 2:39 PM in response to glovere

If the file is located on iCloud it is synchronized across all devices logged into/access the file on iCloud. Opening on one computer, making changes and saving the file, then opening the same file on another device will open the modified file. I don't know what you did to interrupt the synchronization.

Jun 12, 2022 6:38 PM in response to glovere

glovere wrote:

I was insulted that you implied that I had done something wrong. Which in fact, I had -- I forgot to close the file on Mac2 before returning to Mac1. My bad -thanks for the reply.

????

Why would you be insulted? You came here seeking help. I provided a possible solution, I.E. using iCloud to save an edited file should make it available to access from another computer. And it turns out my post was correct.

We do not have access to your computer. We can only suggest solutions based on your post. I made a reasonable assumption based on the details you provided.

Glad you got it working.

Editing same document on more than one Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.