Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sort song view by Album Artist and then album year chronologically

Hi,

I'm sure I used to be able to sort song view in music by Album Artist first, then all the albums be in year order.

For example, Album Artist is 'A' and they have had 3 album releases so those are in the order of the 1st album release first (at the top of the view) then the rest in chronological order of year so their latest album release is the last one.

Pretty sure I used to click the album artist column header so it was in ascending order. Then I would click the 'album' column header a few times and it sorted into 'album artist/year.

This doesn't seem to be working now as the album header only sorts one of these ways;

• album
    • album by artist
    • album by artist/year
  • I'm sure it used to sort by album artist by year

I have the latest OS (Monterey 12.4 and Music 1.2.4)

Has Apple removed this or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 6:11 PM

Album by Artist/Year should be songs ordered by the first non empty value of {Sort Album Artist, Album Artist, Sort Artist, Artist} then by year, then the first non empty value of {Sort Album, Album}, then by disc number, then track number. There is no multi-column dependency, in other words you don't have to click on the Album Artist column header first, Album by Artist/Year will always give the same order regardless of what was previously selected.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2022 6:11 PM in response to sphinxx

Album by Artist/Year should be songs ordered by the first non empty value of {Sort Album Artist, Album Artist, Sort Artist, Artist} then by year, then the first non empty value of {Sort Album, Album}, then by disc number, then track number. There is no multi-column dependency, in other words you don't have to click on the Album Artist column header first, Album by Artist/Year will always give the same order regardless of what was previously selected.

tt2

Sort song view by Album Artist and then album year chronologically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.