Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying Time Capsule Data to External Hard Drive

I'm a novice user. I have an ancient Time Capsule (2009) that I recently used to upload my data to a new iMac. I wasn't able to upload all of my data to the new machine. I used Archive to copy the TC data to a new external hard drive and it seemed to work. I plan to set up the new external hard drive as the back up drive to use with Time Machine. Can I expect that the new external hard drive back up files will upload to restore data on the iMac if I need? Is there information I should know about doing this? I don't know enough to know what questions to ask. I'd like to be sure that my data is "safe" before I disconnect the TC and set up the new external hard drive.

On a related note - does Time Machine back up everything each time as a separate file (i.e., so you end up with multiple copies of files)? If I want to be as efficient with storage space as possible, is TM the best option? I've envisioned that TM only backups up new or altered files each time. Is that correct?

Thank you in advance for answering - I appreciate any help and insight you can give.

iMac 27″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 8:14 AM

Is there any way to get TM to just use the archived data as the back up rather than creating a new data backup folder?

Apple used to offer this an option, but it was problematic. I don't think the option exists now. Even if it did, I would not use it.

Alternatively, is there a way of going into the archived file and deleting the duplicated files?

Apple does not support this. In theory, it might be possible to use the Finder to manually try to get into the backup files, but there is a very real risk of corrupting the entire backup file, since each file has complex links associated with other files. Personally, I would never try this unless I had another copy of all the backups. Even then, it's going to take forever to try to do this manually.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2022 8:14 AM in response to Linda1982

Is there any way to get TM to just use the archived data as the back up rather than creating a new data backup folder?

Apple used to offer this an option, but it was problematic. I don't think the option exists now. Even if it did, I would not use it.

Alternatively, is there a way of going into the archived file and deleting the duplicated files?

Apple does not support this. In theory, it might be possible to use the Finder to manually try to get into the backup files, but there is a very real risk of corrupting the entire backup file, since each file has complex links associated with other files. Personally, I would never try this unless I had another copy of all the backups. Even then, it's going to take forever to try to do this manually.

Jun 12, 2022 7:26 AM in response to Linda1982

I plan to set up the new external hard drive as the back up drive to use with Time Machine. Can I expect that the new external hard drive back up files will upload to restore data on the iMac if I need?

Yes, backing up to an external hard drive connected directly to your Mac is the simplest, fastest and most reliable way to back up.

I'd like to be sure that my data is "safe" before I disconnect the TC and set up the new external hard drive.

I'm reading this as you plan to use the same external drive that contains the Archive of the "old" backups with your Mac and use Time Machine to back up the Mac going forward.

If this is the case, Time Machine will start a new complete backup of your Mac on the external drive and then move forward with "incremental" backups once the first complete backup is done. So, you will have two separate files on the external drive.......one file......the Archive that contains all the old backups......and another separate file with Time Machine backups going forward.

In other words, when you connect the external drive to your Mac, and set up Time Machine to back up to the external drive, Time Machine will back up everything on your Mac the first time that it runs. After that, Time Machine only backs up the changes that have occurred on your Mac since the last backup, so the subsequent "incremental" backups are not going to take up much space and will only take a few minutes.

You will probably never need the "old" Archived backups on the external drive, so after a few months of building up a new backup history of your Mac, you might decide to delete the old Archive file to create more storage space on the external drive.

Jun 12, 2022 7:47 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you, Bob. There are files in the archived data that are not on my iMac because of space limitations. I want to keep those. If TM automatically backs up the iMac, I'll have duplicates of the files I uploaded from TC when I set up the new machine.

Is there any way to get TM to just use the archived data as the back up rather than creating a new data backup folder? Alternatively, is there a way of going into the archived file and deleting the duplicated files? Or is this just not worth the effort to avoid have two sets of backed up files on the same external HD?

Copying Time Capsule Data to External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.