You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help to erase my MAC

Im trying to erase my old MAC and when I enter the Name Macintosh HD and Format Mac OS Extended (journaled) the erase is not highlighted so I can not click on it. The only button I can click on is Erase Free Space.

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 10:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 11:51 AM

You can't erase a volume/drive that you're booted from. Therefore noot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down  - Intel Macs). Then select Disk Utility, select your boot drive and erase. You can also reinstall the same system you were currently running at that time.

Why do you want to erase the drive. If it's to sell or give away the Mac follow this document: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 12, 2022 11:51 AM in response to Marty4326

You can't erase a volume/drive that you're booted from. Therefore noot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down  - Intel Macs). Then select Disk Utility, select your boot drive and erase. You can also reinstall the same system you were currently running at that time.

Why do you want to erase the drive. If it's to sell or give away the Mac follow this document: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support.

I need help to erase my MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.