Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will it void the warranty if I use a USB to Lightning charger with my iPhone 13?

I was told by the Verizon rep that I could not use an old usb a with Lightning charger to charge my new iPhone 13 or I would void the warranty. Is this true?? Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 7:38 PM

Nope. Works fine. Fully supported.

“You can use any of the adapters listed below to charge your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or iPod”

About Apple USB power adapters - Apple Support

Same cable from the old iPhone will work, too.

It will charge more slowly than would a newer and higher-wattage adapter.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2022 7:38 PM in response to Rebesaurus

Nope. Works fine. Fully supported.

“You can use any of the adapters listed below to charge your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or iPod”

About Apple USB power adapters - Apple Support

Same cable from the old iPhone will work, too.

It will charge more slowly than would a newer and higher-wattage adapter.

Jun 14, 2022 11:13 AM in response to Rebesaurus

PS: It occurs to me that the Verizon rep might be confusing the cabling. New iPhone models arrive with a USB-C to Lightning cable, and not the older USB-A to Lightning.

If used with an iPhone, your older USB-A charger will have a USB-A to Lightning cable for your older iPhone.

That cable was used with older iPhone models, and still works with newer Lightning devices.

If you don’t still have the USB-A to Lightning cable (or this charger wasn’t used with an iPhone), you’ll need to acquire a USB-A to Lightning cable from Apple or a (preferably MFi-rated) cable from a third-party to use the older USB-A charger.

Apple well along switching over to USB-C connectors for most connectors on most devices. Smaller, reversible, ten to soon twenty times the available power than USB-A, and multi-protocol support, too.

But the 5W, 10W, and 12W USB-A chargers? They’re compatible.

Jun 14, 2022 12:38 PM in response to Rebesaurus

A lot of phone store sales say the stupidest things, and that's one of them. As long as you use a reasonably good quality power source (doesn't necessarily need to be on any official Apple list) and an Apple OEM or "Made for iPhone/iPad/iPod" (aka MFi) USB-A to Lightning cable, you should be fine. Apple specifically says that any official Lightning cable is fine with any model of iPhone with a Lightning port.

Will it void the warranty if I use a USB to Lightning charger with my iPhone 13?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.