Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro mid 2012 unibody

My mac suddenly won't turn on. I had just shut down the computer as I had been running it pretty hard the previous day setting up obs. It never gave me any charging notifications. When I went to turn it back on it won't power on. There is no light on charger. All recommended resets haven't worked. However if I plug in the charger it occasionally will get a green light for a second and the screen will come on but just for a second. The battery indicator light does come on and blinks 1 light. I don't know if it's a battery, charging port, or charging cord problem. Or how to diagnose through process of elimination. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 11:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 12:15 AM

If your Mac doesn't turn on:

1. Make sure that your Mac is connected to AC power. If it doesn't have a built-in display, make sure that your external display is connected to power, connected to your Mac, and turned on.
  2. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for at least 10 seconds, then release.
  3. Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.
  4. If you see no change on your Mac, press and release the power button normally.
  5. If your Mac now turns on but stops at some other screen during startup, follow the steps for when your Mac doesn't start up all the way.

If your Mac still doesn't turn on, please get expert service and support at the Genius Bar.

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2022 12:15 AM in response to Djf1sh

If your Mac doesn't turn on:

1. Make sure that your Mac is connected to AC power. If it doesn't have a built-in display, make sure that your external display is connected to power, connected to your Mac, and turned on.
  2. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for at least 10 seconds, then release.
  3. Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.
  4. If you see no change on your Mac, press and release the power button normally.
  5. If your Mac now turns on but stops at some other screen during startup, follow the steps for when your Mac doesn't start up all the way.

If your Mac still doesn't turn on, please get expert service and support at the Genius Bar.

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status.

Jun 13, 2022 7:54 AM in response to Djf1sh

The 15-inch Mid 2012 is on Apple's list of what is considered "obsolete" so Apple won't work on it. See this list here:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

Look for an independent provider.

However, before your look fo a provider, there are other things you can check.

Inspect both MagSafe connectors.

Then:

• Use a small non-conductive brush to remove any lint from either connector
  • Look for burned contact pins
  • Use a wooden toothpick to see if any pins are stuck in the "down" position
  • Remove the back cover (carefully noting where each screw goes back) and look for any leaks or swelling of the battery.

Has the computer been out of service for an extended period?

Jun 13, 2022 8:12 AM in response to Djf1sh

If it's the battery, there might be a chance that Apple supports it with a battery service since it's under 10 years since it was discontinued.

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support
Service and parts may be obtained for longer, as required by law or for up to 7 years, subject to parts availability. Additionally, Mac notebooks may be eligible for an extended battery-only repair period for up to 10 years from when the product was last distributed for sale, subject to parts availability.

I just had the battery in my 13" mid-2012 Unibody replaced last week when it just powered off unexpected and then wouldn't turn on after restarting once, but there were a bunch of issues including that it was slightly swollen. It did actually power up again, which suggested that the battery not working was intermittent, but it obviously needed replacement with a "service battery" message and the swelling. But if it had completely died I think they would have also replaced it, although I'm not sure how they run the diagnostics without just installing a working battery (or maybe just hooking it up to a power supply through the battery connector).

Jun 13, 2022 11:04 AM in response to Djf1sh

And it had a 60w charger. I I plugged that one into my charging port and all off a sudden I have an orange light.

I'm calling that progress! If things continue go well, I think you have your answer. I looked and Apple does not show the charger any more, but other sources do. Even with a 60W, the only downside is that an under-rated charger can typically:

• run the computer, or
  • charge the battery,

but not both at the same time.

Jun 13, 2022 8:42 AM in response to y_p_w

y_p_w wrote:

If it's the battery, there might be a chance that Apple supports it with a battery service since it's under 10 years since it was discontinued.

It comes down to screen size. Your 13-inch 2012 Macbook Pro was among the Macs that remained in the line unchanged the longest: four years, four months. It was not discontinued until Oct 2016 and it is still NOT on on the Vintage/Obsolete list. Therefore Apple fixed it for you.

On the other hand, the Mid 2012 15-inch Macbook Pro "died young"—discontinued in Oct 2013. It IS on the V/O list.

Indeed, it is still worth asking because sometimes battery replacement service qualifications may be different from what the V/O list states. Some Apple Store will do evaluations but not repairs on old gear; others I've visited won't touch a V/O computer with a cattle prod! It's like you brought them a box of smallpox.

I also have an 13-inch 2012—what a great machine! It is the last one where we could do much of anything "under the hood." Mine is faster than ever with an aftermarket SSD. Still a workhorse in great shape, and will once again be my traveling companion next week.

Question: Was yours "box-stock" when you had the battery service? I'd like to get the battery done before mine gets much older (it's hovering around 80% health) but I don't know if I need to reinstall the original RAM and mech hard drive to get service.

Jun 13, 2022 10:27 AM in response to Allan Jones

Allan Jones wrote:

y_p_w wrote:

It comes down to screen size. Your 13-inch 2012 Macbook Pro was among the Macs that remained in the line unchanged the longest: four years, four months. It was not discontinued until Oct 2016 and it is still NOT on on the Vintage/Obsolete list. Therefore Apple fixed it for you.

On the other hand, the Mid 2012 15-inch Macbook Pro "died young"—discontinued in Oct 2013. It IS on the V/O list.

Indeed, it is still worth asking because sometimes battery replacement service qualifications may be different from what the V/O list states. Some Apple Store will do evaluations but not repairs on old gear; others I've visited won't touch a V/O computer with a cattle prod! It's like you brought them a box of smallpox.

I also have an 13-inch 2012—what a great machine! It is the last one where we could do much of anything "under the hood." Mine is faster than ever with an aftermarket SSD. Still a workhorse in great shape, and will once again be my traveling companion next week.

Question: Was yours "box-stock" when you had the battery service? I'd like to get the battery done before mine gets much older (it's hovering around 80% health) but I don't know if I need to reinstall the original RAM and mech hard drive to get service.

I understand all that about Apple's "Vintage" and "Obsolete" status, but they do have that message that they **may** (which implies that they may not) offer up to 10 years of "extended battery-only repair" from the time that Apple discontinued a particular Mac notebook model, even if Apple considers a model to be "Obsolete". In addition to that, Apple clearly has certain batteries still made for them by their suppliers that will work on models more than 10 years old. Every Unibody MBP of the same size uses the same battery part number, although I don't know if the supply that Apple purchases is limited considering whether or not they'll discontinue support based on a hard deadline for older Macs. I'm also thinking that location enters into it. I'm in California, so that could have something to do with the level of support for older devices. But this kind of support may not be as available in other countries.

I will say I was kind of annoyed because (when reinstalling a 2x8GB RAM kit) I figured that an Apple Store technician installed some sort of thermal pad in my MBP, and it's stuck on pretty good Wasn't sure what it was and it was kind of messy (left a stain on the serial number label on the memory socket) but I realize it was probably some sort of thermal graphite sheet sandwich and not metallic as I originally thought. I was worried that it was some sort of metallized layer and that it might short out something since the vinyl top sheet peeled off and shifted around.

Other than that, it's kind of tricky what DIY parts one may be willing to spend on to revive a dead device without any guarantee that the replacement will fix it, since the problem could be more serious than just a battery. There are some really cheap aftermarket batteries for Unibody MBPs out there, as well as more expensive ones from more trusted sources. Once Apple discontinues all support, that may be the only means to obtain a new battery.

I would at least recommend taking a dead device to an Apple Store for a diagnostic, which should be free. I will say that when I did it, they had to dig into their drawers to find stuff that they didn't use every day, including a MagSafe 1 power adapter and a wired ethernet cable to connect for the diagnostic. Just in case, I put back in the 2x2GB factory memory and made sure to have a backup. I didn't put back in my original 500GB hard drive, which was corrupted (and hasn't been recovered or reformatted) after a forced shutdown during a lockup. I had a lot of those happen, but that's been the only time it's ever been corrupted.

I had an aftermarket SSD installed. I did get a call back that I had a "storage issue" and that I needed to contact the Apple Store before they could proceed. I was actually able to talk to an employee (that was a first since I've previously only been able to talk to central customer service) and he stated that their diagnostics indicated that "the hard drive is failing" which was news to me since it's a 1TB WD Blue 3D NAND SSD reporting a 100% wear level and that's been flawless for nearly 3 years. I was told a replacement would be about US$120 on top of the $129 battery replacement fee. I heard somewhere that anything other than an Apple OEM drive may be flagged as not passing the diagnostic, but when I said that I'd deal with it myself that was the end of it and they proceeded with the service.

Jun 13, 2022 12:18 PM in response to Allan Jones

Allan Jones wrote:
And it had a 60w charger. I I plugged that one into my charging port and all off a sudden I have an orange light.

I'm calling that progress! If things continue go well, I think you have your answer. I looked and Apple does not show the charger any more, but other sources• do. Even with a 60W, the only downside is that an under-rated charger can typically:
run the computer, or
• charge the battery,
but not both at the same time.

Sometimes failing batteries work intermittently. Mine seemed to force a restart once and then shut down and refused to turn on again. But two days later I'm in an Apple Store waiting for a tech to look at it, and I try turning it on where it fires right up. Go fig.

Not sure what the deal was, but I couldn't even run mine off the power adapter alone.

Jun 13, 2022 12:43 PM in response to Djf1sh

Djf1sh wrote:
I've done all that and checked all of that.

Also it is a 15inch with 85w charger . However I Had a 13" one right before that one. And it had a 60w charger. I I plugged that one into my charging port and all off a sudden I have an orange light..I ain't touching it yet til I know what my next step should be

I'm starting to think of one particularly hard nut to crack when it comes to any device refusing to start up. Occasionally they get into these weird lockup conditions where it's impossible to restart. A MacBook Pro doesn't have a physical power switch, but a button that relies on the computer being in a defined state in order to power up or power down. It was really odd for me since it was in some sort of odd state where it wasn't recoverable with any keys or the power button. The telltale sign that it wasn't completely dead was that I could hear a faint buzz coming from the logic board if I put my ear up right to the case.

It's happened to me twice, and the only solution was to disconnect the battery connector and then reconnect, which I believe can be done at an Apple Store or by an AASP. Then it got out of the lockup state like I'd forced a shutdown and started up right away. I'll just say that for these models, Apple approves of DIY replacement of the memory or drive, and usually that process involves pulling the battery connector. Some have been hesitant and just waited for the battery to completely die, where it completely powered down and it could be restarted once the battery was charged again.

Macbook pro mid 2012 unibody

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.