Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods unintentionally deletes from 2 devices at once

i want to keep my personal AirPods connected only to my iPad air2 and not my wife’s iPad mini (on same Apple ID) but every time I connect my AirPods to my iPad it connects to my wife’s iPad mini and when I select ‘forget this device’ on her iPad mini it forgets/deletes them from my iPad also.

I would go to the trouble of creating/setting up an apple family sharing if I thought that would fix it but I believe this is more of a device issue than apple account because it doesn’t do the same with other iPads I have on the same account.

Any ideas for a solution please?

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 1:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 7:55 AM

Hi K Dob,

If you'd like your AirPods to be forgotten from just one iPad, this information and steps might help. 

Is automatic switching on? Here's how it works:

Switch automatically
AirPods are connected to your iPhone and Apple Watch at the same time. Sound switches between them automatically.
To switch between devices automatically1 with your AirPods (2nd generation), AirPods (3rd generation), AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max:
- Make sure that you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, a - Mac with the latest version of macOS, or an Apple TV with the latest version of tvOS
Sign in with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication
If you're signed in with the same Apple ID on your devices, your AirPods will automatically switch from listening to music on your iPad to answering a phone call on your iPhone, for example.

Turn off automatic switching
If you don't want your AirPods to switch automatically, you can turn off automatic switching on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV.
On your iPhone or iPad
1. With your AirPods in your ears and connected to your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Bluetooth.
2. Tap the More Info button next to your AirPods in the list of devices.
3. Tap Connect to This iPhone [or iPad].
4. Tap When Last Connected to This iPhone [or iPad].
5. To turn on this feature again, tap Automatically.

The information above is from Switch your AirPods to another device. If turning off automatic switching doesn't work, then you should use two separate Apple ID's. You'll note from the information above that automatic switching is linked by your Apple ID. If the issue continues after creating two different Apple ID's, let the community know what version of iPadOS each iPad is currently running. 

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2022 7:55 AM in response to K Dob

Hi K Dob,

If you'd like your AirPods to be forgotten from just one iPad, this information and steps might help. 

Is automatic switching on? Here's how it works:

Switch automatically
AirPods are connected to your iPhone and Apple Watch at the same time. Sound switches between them automatically.
To switch between devices automatically1 with your AirPods (2nd generation), AirPods (3rd generation), AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max:
- Make sure that you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, a - Mac with the latest version of macOS, or an Apple TV with the latest version of tvOS
Sign in with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication
If you're signed in with the same Apple ID on your devices, your AirPods will automatically switch from listening to music on your iPad to answering a phone call on your iPhone, for example.

Turn off automatic switching
If you don't want your AirPods to switch automatically, you can turn off automatic switching on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV.
On your iPhone or iPad
1. With your AirPods in your ears and connected to your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Bluetooth.
2. Tap the More Info button next to your AirPods in the list of devices.
3. Tap Connect to This iPhone [or iPad].
4. Tap When Last Connected to This iPhone [or iPad].
5. To turn on this feature again, tap Automatically.

The information above is from Switch your AirPods to another device. If turning off automatic switching doesn't work, then you should use two separate Apple ID's. You'll note from the information above that automatic switching is linked by your Apple ID. If the issue continues after creating two different Apple ID's, let the community know what version of iPadOS each iPad is currently running. 

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

AirPods unintentionally deletes from 2 devices at once

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.