Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add 10% to a whole column in numbers

i have a cafe and will be increasing my prices by 10% how can i add a formula to populate on all of of items in the spreadsheet

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 10:28 AM

This is a relatively simple task, but does require several steps.

I would suggest making sure you have a backup copy of the document before starting.

Assuming that your prices start on row 4 of column C:

• Add a column to the right of the one containing your prices.
  • Click on cell D4 to select it, then press = to open the Formula Editor.
  • Enter this formula in the Editor: C4*1.1

Numbers will immediately change the * to a multiplication sign.

• Click the green checkmark button on the Formula Editor to confirm the formula and close the editor.
  • Bring the mouse pointer close to the bottom edge of cell D4.
  • The small yellow filled circle that appears is the Fill Control. Using the mouse (or trackpad), grab the Fill Control and drag it down column D to fill the formula into the rest of the rows containing prices in column C.

The new prices will be displayed in column D.

• Select all cells containing new prices. Copy (command-C)
  • With those cells still selected, go to the Edit menu and choose Paste Formula Results.

This step replaces the formulas in those cells with the last result calculated by each formula.

• With the cells containing new prices still selected, press command C to Copy.
  • Then select the matching group of cells in column C. Press command-V to paste the copied new prices into the cells in column C.
  • Select and Delete column D.

You may want to edit the results to round the prices to 'conventional' values.

Regards,

Barry

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2022 10:28 AM in response to natalieee33

This is a relatively simple task, but does require several steps.

I would suggest making sure you have a backup copy of the document before starting.

Assuming that your prices start on row 4 of column C:

• Add a column to the right of the one containing your prices.
  • Click on cell D4 to select it, then press = to open the Formula Editor.
  • Enter this formula in the Editor: C4*1.1

Numbers will immediately change the * to a multiplication sign.

• Click the green checkmark button on the Formula Editor to confirm the formula and close the editor.
  • Bring the mouse pointer close to the bottom edge of cell D4.
  • The small yellow filled circle that appears is the Fill Control. Using the mouse (or trackpad), grab the Fill Control and drag it down column D to fill the formula into the rest of the rows containing prices in column C.

The new prices will be displayed in column D.

• Select all cells containing new prices. Copy (command-C)
  • With those cells still selected, go to the Edit menu and choose Paste Formula Results.

This step replaces the formulas in those cells with the last result calculated by each formula.

• With the cells containing new prices still selected, press command C to Copy.
  • Then select the matching group of cells in column C. Press command-V to paste the copied new prices into the cells in column C.
  • Select and Delete column D.

You may want to edit the results to round the prices to 'conventional' values.

Regards,

Barry

Jun 14, 2022 12:07 PM in response to JJLNGRD23

JJ is correct in saying "sum('amount'/100)x10" will calculate the 10% to be added to the current price.

But SUM is superfluous here, as are the parentheses.

'amount'/100*10 Produces the same result.

Then "you can add it onto the price"

Or you could use the formula suggested in my post above:

C4*1.1 (with 'amount' in cell C4)

which calculates the new price directly.

Regards,

Barry

How to add 10% to a whole column in numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.