Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I transfer my documentsm from icloud back to my hard drive on my mac book pro?

how do I transfer my documentsm from icloud back to my hard drive on my mac book pro?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 10:52 AM

If you mean that you have the Desktop and Document option of iCloud turned on and want to turn it off, see the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Turn off Desktop and Documents

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
    2. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
    3. Deselect Desktop & Documents Folders.
    4. Click Done.

What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents

When you turn off Desktop & Documents Folders, your files stay in iCloud Drive and a new Desktop and Documents folder is created on your Mac in the home folder. You can move files from iCloud Drive to your Mac as you need them, or select all of your files and drag them to the place you want to keep them.

or if you want to completely turn off iCloud Drive, see the following from that same support article.

What happens when you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud

If you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud, a new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. You also have the option to keep a local copy of your files that are in iCloud Drive. If you keep a local copy of your files in iCloud Drive, they're copied to a folder called iCloud Drive (Archive) in your home folder. You can move any files that were in your iCloud Desktop and Documents to your new local Desktop and Documents.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2022 10:52 AM in response to Homeatvillages

If you mean that you have the Desktop and Document option of iCloud turned on and want to turn it off, see the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Turn off Desktop and Documents

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
    2. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
    3. Deselect Desktop & Documents Folders.
    4. Click Done.

What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents

When you turn off Desktop & Documents Folders, your files stay in iCloud Drive and a new Desktop and Documents folder is created on your Mac in the home folder. You can move files from iCloud Drive to your Mac as you need them, or select all of your files and drag them to the place you want to keep them.

or if you want to completely turn off iCloud Drive, see the following from that same support article.

What happens when you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud

If you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud, a new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. You also have the option to keep a local copy of your files that are in iCloud Drive. If you keep a local copy of your files in iCloud Drive, they're copied to a folder called iCloud Drive (Archive) in your home folder. You can move any files that were in your iCloud Desktop and Documents to your new local Desktop and Documents.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.