Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos with unavailable original files cannot be opened

I recently restored a Photo Library to access some pictures. While the library did restore the photos into my Photo library property, I cannot access them and get the message noted above. I have tried the OPT-CMD shortcut to repair the library file, but it does not change my ability to work with the pictures I restored.

What else can I do to resolve this?

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 3:48 AM

To check, if the photos have been referenced files you can do two things:

• In Photos, go to the menu "View > Metadata" and set the checkmarks for File kind" and "Referenced Files". Then you will see badge overlays for the file kind and arrows for the referenced files. For images with missing originals the arrows may be shown in red or crossed out.
  • To collect all referenced images in one place, create a smart album with the rule "Image is referenced", as Tony suggested. Is this smart album empty? If the files are referenced, the safest way to reconnect them is to connect them in their original location. Do you still have the volume, where the restored library has perviously been?

If your backup has been a Time Machine backup, you need to restore the Photos Library by entering Time Machine and use the restore option. You cannot simply drag the library from the Time Machine backup, otherwise the internal links may be broken.

Have you been running any cleaning applications to remove duplicates? Some of these apps can cause exactly this kind of error.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2022 3:48 AM in response to torchlite

To check, if the photos have been referenced files you can do two things:

• In Photos, go to the menu "View > Metadata" and set the checkmarks for File kind" and "Referenced Files". Then you will see badge overlays for the file kind and arrows for the referenced files. For images with missing originals the arrows may be shown in red or crossed out.
  • To collect all referenced images in one place, create a smart album with the rule "Image is referenced", as Tony suggested. Is this smart album empty? If the files are referenced, the safest way to reconnect them is to connect them in their original location. Do you still have the volume, where the restored library has perviously been?

If your backup has been a Time Machine backup, you need to restore the Photos Library by entering Time Machine and use the restore option. You cannot simply drag the library from the Time Machine backup, otherwise the internal links may be broken.

Have you been running any cleaning applications to remove duplicates? Some of these apps can cause exactly this kind of error.

Jun 15, 2022 12:33 AM in response to torchlite

Restored from where?

Assuming from a backup - when you backed up the libarary, were you using icloud with "optimise mac storage"? If so the original files would only have been stored in icloud, so when the library was backed up they would not have been included in the backup.

Are the files still in iCloud? (You can check at www.icloud.com)

Or were you running a referenced library (original files not copied into the library). You can check by setting up a smart album with the conidition "photo - is - referenced". If they are referenced files, then you will need to find the original photos from where they were on your hard drive.

Jun 15, 2022 6:23 AM in response to TonyCollinet

This was a restore from Time Machine. As it turns out, I had to restore from a later backup (April instead of March)...for some reason, the April restore worked just fine and I was able to retrieve the pictures I needed. Thanks for your input, and I do have a question about something you mentioned..."optimize Mac Storage"...is this something found in Time Machine? I was unaware of this setting...

Jun 15, 2022 6:33 AM in response to torchlite

Optimise mac storage is a feature of iCloud.

If you sync your mac library with iCloud, you can opt to have the full size originals removed from your mac and stored only in the cloud. Reduced size previews and thumnnails are left on your mac to allow you to continue to use Photos app as before. The originals are then only downloaded if needed for editing, exporting or printing.

It can reduce the size of your local library by up to 80%, but does mean you don't have the masters available locally for backup to time machine.

Jun 15, 2022 6:50 AM in response to léonie

I was curious as to why the backup restoration from March replaced the pix in Photos, but were "unavailable", but the April backup restored them just fine. It was then I recalled that prior to the April backup, I had renamed each of the files in a sequential fashion. I assume this is what made the March photos unavailable.

Photos with unavailable original files cannot be opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.