Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retrieve iMessage after turning on 30 day flag?

I (stupidly) set my iPhone messages from forever to 30 days about a month ago and I can't seem to find a backup on my phone that has that message history. I'm wondering if I can retrieve it from my iPad or Mac somehow? Or where / how backups per device are stored and managed? Maybe I'm not finding all of my backups??

Thanks for your help!

iPhone 6s, iOS 10

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 7:44 AM

Hey there,

if you didn't have Messages in iCloud enabled, and you have a backup from when the messages were on your device, you could restore that backup. Please note that the messages from the time that the backup was made until the present date would not be contained in the backup and would be missing from your device after the backup was restored. 

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2022 7:44 AM in response to soolara

Hey there,

if you didn't have Messages in iCloud enabled, and you have a backup from when the messages were on your device, you could restore that backup. Please note that the messages from the time that the backup was made until the present date would not be contained in the backup and would be missing from your device after the backup was restored. 

Jun 15, 2022 8:09 AM in response to Iafeef

Thank you! Unfortunately I did have messages in iCloud enabled and I hit my storage limit which is why I set it to 30 days, not realizing it would kill all my existing messages. This was just on my iPhone but as I'm looking on my Mac and iPad the backups are all the same iCloud backups. I wonder if there is ANY way to retrieve them now :(

Retrieve iMessage after turning on 30 day flag?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.