Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does AirPrint only work on occasion on my iPhone?

Why does AirPrint only work on occasion. It continually disengages. Works for a few days, then I can’t get it back. I reboot the router, my iPhone12, and my EPSON printer. And still no AIRPRINT. VERY FRUSTRSTING.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 1:06 PM

Hi,

You mentioned that you had rebooted the router, and the iPhone. Any change if you try the following procedure (in the exact order) instead?

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the iPhone, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the iPhone. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Modern dual-band routers with automatic device detection and band selection have been reported to cause difficulties in some cases. If so, a manual setting or renamed network may be needed.

If necessary, please post back with the exact router model (do not post any serial numbers or access codes). Also, please let us know which Epson printer model you are using.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2022 1:06 PM in response to Paintingthetown

Hi,

You mentioned that you had rebooted the router, and the iPhone. Any change if you try the following procedure (in the exact order) instead?

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the iPhone, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the iPhone. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Modern dual-band routers with automatic device detection and band selection have been reported to cause difficulties in some cases. If so, a manual setting or renamed network may be needed.

If necessary, please post back with the exact router model (do not post any serial numbers or access codes). Also, please let us know which Epson printer model you are using.

Jun 18, 2022 2:04 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

THANK YOU - that worked. Sorry for the delay, but could not perform operation as we have 2 people here who work from home. I don’t recall the order I did in the past, but I know I never waited the 2-3 minutes in between each step. I only shut down the computers, iPhones and printer (EPSON WF-4830) and followed the chronological order you gave for reboot and now it works. At least for the past 24 hours. I have approx. 25-30 devices counting Alexa, WEMO, TV’s, computers, and cell iPhones. I use AT&T fiber optics internet and have a 2.4 & 5g dual band router (BGW210-700) with pretty much unlimited device hookup. I also have about 300-500 mbps upload & download. I do not use land lines on the router. 

I think my main concern is WHY it disconnects in the 1st place. That will be the real test as it happens frequently. Usually every few days. 

Jun 18, 2022 4:08 PM in response to Paintingthetown

You're welcome!

Hopefully, it continues to work. If not, and if the EPSON WF-4830 is wirelessly connected to the Wi-Fi router, you may want to investigate whether cordless phones/devices, microwave ovens, power supplies, et cetera cause interference.

Alternatively, since the WF-4830 has an Ethernet port, you could wire the printer to one of the LAN ports of the router. The AirPrint technology can be used with both wired (Ethernet) and wireless connections.

Jun 18, 2022 10:10 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

the 4830 is wirelessly connected - if it continues to be a problem I’ll try hooking up the pan as you suggest. How do I check for potential interference (microwave, etc.) as you mentioned? I have no cordless phones. I did recently install an emergency light (comes on during power failures) about 2’ from the printer & 4’ from router. No external power supply - but circuit board inside light housing. That’s the only device close to printer & router. All other devices, appliances, etc are at least 10’-15’ from printer & router. Printer & router are about 12-18” apart.

Jun 19, 2022 1:39 PM in response to Paintingthetown

Regarding interference, trial and error would be the only way without access to special equipment. Nothing appears to be immediately unusual in this case.

See also the following article about gateway location and connections.

https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1212921/

However, we do not even know whether interference is involved. It could be something entirely different. The use of wired (Ethernet) connections whenever possible is good practice anyway, though.

Why does AirPrint only work on occasion on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.