Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My Mac: how to?

I have done all this: Set up Find My on Mac - Apple Support

I have the iPhone in one hand and the MacBook Air in the other. But the Find-My app on the iPhone cannot find the MacBook.

What am I missing?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 7:54 PM

Provided that you have followed the steps in Set up Find My on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac and signed into the same iCloud account on both devices your Mac should appear in Find My on your iPhone - but not in the People tab.

You Mac will - or should - appear in the next tab along called Devices. Is this where you have looked? Is your Mac absent in Devices?

Your iPhone will report its own location in the Me tab on the right.

Over on your Mac, your iPhone will appear in the People tab (as "Me") and the Mac will report its own location in Devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2022 7:54 PM in response to R_55a

Provided that you have followed the steps in Set up Find My on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac and signed into the same iCloud account on both devices your Mac should appear in Find My on your iPhone - but not in the People tab.

You Mac will - or should - appear in the next tab along called Devices. Is this where you have looked? Is your Mac absent in Devices?

Your iPhone will report its own location in the Me tab on the right.

Over on your Mac, your iPhone will appear in the People tab (as "Me") and the Mac will report its own location in Devices.

Jun 16, 2022 7:50 PM in response to R_55a

R_55a Sais:

"Find My Mac: how to?: I have done all this: Set up Find My on Mac - Apple Support I have the iPhone in one hand and the MacBook Air in the other. But the Find-My app on the iPhone cannot find the MacBook. What am I missing?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Lost Mac

If Find My is not a successful option, then perform this manually...

So, what to Try:

• Dial it: See if it is heard ringing

• Ask Local Authorities: See if it has be hanged over.

• Text It: Ask whomever has come across it, to contact you.

• Ask Someone: See if someone you know (i.e. Friend, or Family Member) if that came across it.

• Backtrack your Locations: If you are at a coffee shop, or a library, stop by and see if it was safely placed aside.

Jun 16, 2022 7:55 PM in response to TheLittles

Never mind. While working on my next problem, I stumbled on System Preferences>Apple ID. I found in there the settings for the various devices in my Apple ID. One such device is the MacBook Air. Using that setting I turned on the "Find My" function for this Mac.

This comes to mind because someone I know had a laptop stolen. I want to be ready if it ever happens to me.

Find My Mac: how to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.