Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine not backing up with Catalina

I have Time Machine on a Seagate one touch 4GB drive and I can’t access it. I’ve tried to run disc repair and it works fine on the main disk but not on the lower level disc. IMac is running Catalina and it’s the second Seagate drive that has had problems in the last few days.

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 9:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 10:14 PM

TreforW,

this article has many more resources that you might find helpful with your specific issue

Time Machine troubleshooting on Mac - Apple Support

its important to keep an open mind and consider the hard drive as another variable in the issue. what im trying to say is, you have the manufacturer for the hard drive to seek support if youve used up all your options over with apple support resources.

can you describe and list anything unordinary to get a better idea about what youre seeing.

when did this start happening?

was the drive unplugged at a point in time?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2022 10:14 PM in response to TreforW

TreforW,

this article has many more resources that you might find helpful with your specific issue

Time Machine troubleshooting on Mac - Apple Support

its important to keep an open mind and consider the hard drive as another variable in the issue. what im trying to say is, you have the manufacturer for the hard drive to seek support if youve used up all your options over with apple support resources.

can you describe and list anything unordinary to get a better idea about what youre seeing.

when did this start happening?

was the drive unplugged at a point in time?

Jun 16, 2022 10:10 PM in response to TreforW

TreforW Said:

"Time Machine not backing up with Catalina: I have Time Machine on a Seagate one touch 4GB drive and I can’t access it. I’ve tried to run disc repair and it works fine on the main disk but not on the lower level disc. IMac is running Catalina and it’s the second Seagate drive that has had problems in the last few days."

-------

About Backing Up Catalina:

Save the data elsewhere, and then format it to APFS format using Disk Utility in Recovery Mode

Refer to these Links:

Which Drive to Get:

Purchase an external drive 1.5 times the internal storage. Make sure that the original packing reads that it is compatible with the macOS.

So, what to Do:

Use Time Machine Backup - and not a third party app. You would....

1. Open: Disk Utility***
  2. Erase: the drive
  3. Format: with APFS format

***To Open Disk Utility: Go to: Applications > Utilities

Time Machine not backing up with Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.