Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email mailbox folders missing

after a software reboot, email mailbox folders gone

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 11:25 AM

Iaterry wrote:

after a software reboot, email mailbox folders gone

?

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

6 replies

Aug 8, 2022 3:16 PM in response to leroydouglas

I also have had all my mailboxes (from my Exchange account) disappear. The folders are on my disc, apparently containing all the messages, but they do not show up in the Mail app. (Yes, I know about mousing over the sidebar next to Exchange -- that's not the issue). It is as if the Mail app has just forgotten where to look for the stored mail folders and messages -- they are there, *I* can find them. I've tried everything I can think of, including restarting Mail and rebooting my iMac. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Aug 8, 2022 4:43 PM in response to sqisme

In my case the boxes were gone. I could still see the mail in Gmail and on my pad. just all the local saved mail boxes and messages could not seen.

One - Unhid your system disk if hidden: You may not have to do this step if already visible

Go to finder -> General check hard disks.

You should now be able to see Macintosh HD

Two- Right click on your system disk -> open -> Users -> "Your User name"

If your user had the data symbolically linked to another drive, use that drive name.

Default is Macintosh HD.

Three - Unhid Libraries - " Shift + Command + . " this key sequence will display hidden folders and files.

Use "Shift + Command + . " to re-hide your files when finished.

Four - Navigate to mail. - Library -> Mail -> V8 or V9

This may vary.. Latest is V9.

Five - In that directory you will see Two folders. Open both.

The one with all the mail and files will be the larger of the two.

That is the folder you want to import.

Mine was a long file name with dashes

Six - From Mail -> File -> Import Mail boxes.

Use the folder path and that recovered all my mailboxes and files...

Hope this helps..

Aug 9, 2022 6:55 AM in response to Iaterry

Yes it will bring back any local folders only. If you are just trying to sync with Exchange.

First try the Circle icon with horizontal dashes - that is a filter.. sometimes your messages are just

not showing up because they are filtered out.

Next check your email profile under Mail -> preferences -> account information. be sure to check server settings.

Good luck

email mailbox folders missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.