You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inconsistent iPadOS 15’s new rotate button for iPhone app

When iPad is in landscape, I notice some iPhone apps have a new rotate button, while some do not.

How do I get all iPhone apps to show this new rotate button?

Picture 1: iPhone app with new rotate button (bottom right).

Picture 2: iPhone app without new rotate button (bottom right).

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 2:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 3:04 AM

The rotation feature that you illustrate is enabled by the App Developer - and is not configurable within Settings.

Not all Apps are coded to operate in both Portrait and Landscape screen modes. Apps that have a fixed screen orientation will always* appear in the orientation determined by the App Developer.

(*) For iPhone Apps that are compatible with iPad, when used in Landscape orientation, iPadOS15 may automatically rotate the App to display in Landscape screen view. There is no manual configuration or setting to enable this feature. However, Apps designed for iPad that are expressly coded to force Portrait screen orientation, iPadOS15 will honour the intended Portrait mode. iPadOS15 will not override the App coding.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 18, 2022 3:04 AM in response to tzevoon

The rotation feature that you illustrate is enabled by the App Developer - and is not configurable within Settings.

Not all Apps are coded to operate in both Portrait and Landscape screen modes. Apps that have a fixed screen orientation will always* appear in the orientation determined by the App Developer.

(*) For iPhone Apps that are compatible with iPad, when used in Landscape orientation, iPadOS15 may automatically rotate the App to display in Landscape screen view. There is no manual configuration or setting to enable this feature. However, Apps designed for iPad that are expressly coded to force Portrait screen orientation, iPadOS15 will honour the intended Portrait mode. iPadOS15 will not override the App coding.

Jun 18, 2022 6:56 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the respond.

Certain iPhone apps show additional functionality in landscape, including both the apps that I’ve shown. As such, both apps should have been written for both portrait and landscape. But one is able to function as intended while the other do not.

I do some iOS app development myself. I’ve experimented my own iPhone app (iPad disabled) to be portrait only. But that new rotate button still doesn’t show up. I’m not sure if it’s solely a developer issue or if I’m missing anything.

Perhaps I’ll also post this on the developer forum.

P/S:

I just thought of something…. Perhaps there is some minimum target iOS version for this to be supported. I’ll try that too.

Inconsistent iPadOS 15’s new rotate button for iPhone app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.