Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi assist does not work on my iPhone.

iPhone XR I checked and Wi-Fi assist was on so I turned it off and back on again and it still does not work. I cannot use the Internet away from home without manually turning off Wi-Fi. This is very frustrating. I switched it off and then on again and I still have to manually turn Wi-Fi off to use the Internet away from home. What can I try next?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 5:25 PM

Go to Settings/Wi-Fi and turn off Ask to Join Networks. Then whenever it connects to a public network tap on the i next to that network and “forget” it. The phone will only attempt to connect to public networks that you have connected to in the past; once you clear those out the phone won’t attempt to connect to them. It’s because you have used public networks that you have this problem. If you never use public networks it won’t attempt to use them.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2022 5:25 PM in response to barbchase

Go to Settings/Wi-Fi and turn off Ask to Join Networks. Then whenever it connects to a public network tap on the i next to that network and “forget” it. The phone will only attempt to connect to public networks that you have connected to in the past; once you clear those out the phone won’t attempt to connect to them. It’s because you have used public networks that you have this problem. If you never use public networks it won’t attempt to use them.

Jun 18, 2022 5:00 AM in response to barbchase

I still have to manually turn Wi-Fi off to use the Internet away from home.

If you are away from home you use Public Wi-Fi, see this Apple article: Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

Nowadays Public Wi-Fi is offered for free, in big cities, shopping centers, in Public Transport (bus & train), airport, restaurants and others, you no longer need a password.

That depends on where you live.

If at the moment you are away from home and there is no Public Wi-Fi, you have to use Mobile Data, for sure go to -> Settings -> Mobile network -> Mobile Data -> ON.

Jun 18, 2022 4:16 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

That’s what I’m complaining about hoping there is a better way. Every time I leave the house I have to turn off Wi-Fi. Or my cellular will not work. It’s a real pain in the neck to have to keep switching back-and-forth and then I forget when I get home to turn it back on, which uses all my cellular data, until YouTube or some other app tells me to connect to the Internet. Oh well. Do you know if iPhone 13 Pro has the same issue? Or does it automatically switch to cellular when the Wi-Fi stinks?

Wi-Fi assist does not work on my iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.