Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery contact and instructions

I am confused about the recovery process. If I am locked out of my account or forgot my password how do I “use my device “ to follow instructions and then call my recovery contact to get a code? Thank you .

PS I am not currently locked out.

iPhone XS, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 6:28 AM

KEY POINT: Recovery Contact is to help you regain access into your AppleID ACCOUNT.

It does NOT regain access to a “device.” The ONLY access to a device remains a correctly-entered Passcode. Period.

See if this helps w/ how regaining account access can work w/ a Recovery Contact.

First:

This is written “to you” for BEFORE you need to use your contact:

Set up an account recovery contact - Apple Support

This next article is written “to the Account Recovery Contact.” (your assisting friend who can access their own devices)

Help a friend or family member as their account recovery contact - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2022 6:28 AM in response to drcalex

KEY POINT: Recovery Contact is to help you regain access into your AppleID ACCOUNT.

It does NOT regain access to a “device.” The ONLY access to a device remains a correctly-entered Passcode. Period.

See if this helps w/ how regaining account access can work w/ a Recovery Contact.

First:

This is written “to you” for BEFORE you need to use your contact:

Set up an account recovery contact - Apple Support

This next article is written “to the Account Recovery Contact.” (your assisting friend who can access their own devices)

Help a friend or family member as their account recovery contact - Apple Support

Jun 18, 2022 6:53 AM in response to drcalex

The BEST method to ensure continued access to your AppleID are your “Trusted Numbers”

Think of these as “Disaster Recovery” numbers to which you can receive your AppleID 2FA codes when you have NONE of your trusted devices. (e.g. due to Theft, Fire, Man-Made or Natural Disaster)

Trusted Numbers can be ANY voice or SMS-capable line wordwide.

Putting a bit of prior-thought into which numbers to use can help a IMMENSELY when you NEED to use them. (Which almost by definition will be a “bad day”)

Readily-reachable relatives or close friends - in a dispersed geographic areas - are prime candidates.

Recovery contact and instructions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.