Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Out of warranty repair

What is typical out of warranty repair cost to replace keyboard on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 8:52 AM

fossildave wrote:

What is typical out of warranty repair cost to replace keyboard on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2022 8:52 AM in response to fossildave

fossildave wrote:

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Jun 18, 2022 3:42 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:
In current MacBook Pro models, the field-replaceable-assembly is the:

keyboard, trackpad, battery, top-plate assembly.

so the cost (and the repair) is the same as for battery replacement.

IF available, it may be mentioned on this list:

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Not sure about that. Part of it would be that it's worth a certain amount to Apple to have a top case that can be (mostly) reused save refurbishing and adding a battery. It's my understanding that anything where the top case isn't otherwise in good shape means a top case price and not a battery replacement price.

However, they generally expect normal wear on the keyboard, so it might depend.

Jun 19, 2022 12:03 PM in response to fossildave

If you Option-click the battery icon on the menubar, you will be presented with the battery condition (aka status) if you are running macOS 10.14 or earlier, otherwise with macOS 10.15+ the battery condition will only be displayed if the battery needs to be replaced. You can also see the battery condition on macOS 10.15+ if you look in the Battery System Preferences and click on "Battery" on the left pane, then click the "Battery Health" button which will reveal the battery condition/status.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

If take the laptop in for service due to a battery issue and Apple or the AASP can confirm the battery issue, then you will get a battery only repair price which will result in having the same exact part installed, but at a lower price than if they replaced the part for any other issue. Of course it all depends on the tech doing the assessment and the AASP.

Jun 18, 2022 12:24 PM in response to fossildave

If the battery status is "Service Recommended", "Replace Soon", "Replace Now", or "Service Battery", then tell them about the battery issue. Hopefully their service diagnostic will report a failing battery or a consumed battery which would give you a much lower cost battery repair which involves having the same Top Case Assembly being replaced, but for the lower cost of a battery repair.

Jun 20, 2022 5:59 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks HW. My battery health says normal. I have an appointment at local Apple Store on Thursday. Just hope they will give me a reasonable estimate for keyboard repair/replacement BEFORE I turn my MacBook over to them. Don't want to lose the use of it for any length of time just to get an astronomical repair cost estimate AFTER they receive it that isn't agreeable to me.

Out of warranty repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.