Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does App Store ask for a payment method to download a free app?

Why is phone making me add my card to it in order to download a free app

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 10:12 PM

The AppStore tells me to add my credit card every time I try to download a free app I tried to download tiktok and it kept asking for my password I unlock my phone with as I enter it,it says it’s incorrect so I enter my number doesn’t work.I add my Apple ID doesn’t work. It tells me to add my credit card/billing payment

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2022 10:12 PM in response to Odraode

The AppStore tells me to add my credit card every time I try to download a free app I tried to download tiktok and it kept asking for my password I unlock my phone with as I enter it,it says it’s incorrect so I enter my number doesn’t work.I add my Apple ID doesn’t work. It tells me to add my credit card/billing payment

Jun 19, 2022 12:31 AM in response to Lmaocandy248-A_

I believe this is part of the App Store contract. You need to enter a credit card even if you only buy free apps. What I personally do is to prevent in apps purchases and only enable the possibility to buy them when I am sure I want it.

To do that on your iPhone go to:

Settings > Content & Privacy restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases > In-apps Purchases

Why does App Store ask for a payment method to download a free app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.