Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No power on old MacBook

I've been given and old MacBook all I want it for is for some foreign language study.  I would have gone down the Windows route but having an iPhone and iPad it occurred to me that I should try and merge the three.

Here's my problem. There doesn't seem to be power getting through to the MacBook, the little light on the connector doesn't come on.

However when I go to Settings-Apple ID I'm presented with the following information

Model - MacBook; Version macOS 10.15.7 (because it's an old model I'm thinking that Apple no longer update these) and finally the Serial Number 45125LxxxxW. I've tried to find the model number on the base but I can't!.

Originally there was power in the machine for when I turned it on there were documents and images on it.  Now I can't turn it on now at all!

In case it was the old cable I bought a new one from Amazon, a Generic one, but again no power.  Amazon describe the lead as 'Compatible with Macbook Air Charger 60W, Mac Pro Charger Magnetic L-Tip Laptop Charger Mac Charger Compatible with Mac Book Pro/Air 13/15/17-Inch Before Mid 2012.'  

OK, I could have bought the wrong cable but it is returnable.  If not the lead then what?.

From the information supplied can you make an informed guess at where I'm at and a possible fix?

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 8:22 AM

You need to be extremely careful using generic power adapters online since many of them are cheap knockoffs and fakes with very poor & dangerous implementations many which don't have any safety protective circuitry. If you need a charger, then see if Apple still sells them or try OWC or iFixIt.

You can get the exact model of the laptop by entering your serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

It is hard to determine which item or part may be bad. Usually the Battery will be the weakest link and it can prevent the laptop from powering on or even charging if the battery has been left completely discharged for an extended period of time. You can try disconnecting the battery from the Logic Board to see if it has any effect (including another SMC Reset -- try the keyboard command to do it -- I think I used it on those models). However, the DC-In Board or more likely the Logic Board is bad. I know that the Logic Boards on the older 2006 to 2009 white/black MacBooks started having power issues after about three years.

You should examine the contacts on the Magsafe port on the laptop in case they are dirty or even burnt/damaged. Make sure the Magsafe is fully seated. Small bits of thin metal or even staples can easily get stuck & jammed into the port preventing the charger from fitting properly. I've also discovered that you may need to wiggle or reseat the charger a few times to make proper contact sometimes. You can also try an SMC Reset. Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting Magsafe charging issues:

If your MagSafe cable or power adapter isn't working - Apple Support

Edit: Here are the instructions for an SMC Reset (use the older keyboard keys for non-T2 Macs) including the specific instructions for your exact model:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2022 8:22 AM in response to kah22

You need to be extremely careful using generic power adapters online since many of them are cheap knockoffs and fakes with very poor & dangerous implementations many which don't have any safety protective circuitry. If you need a charger, then see if Apple still sells them or try OWC or iFixIt.

You can get the exact model of the laptop by entering your serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

It is hard to determine which item or part may be bad. Usually the Battery will be the weakest link and it can prevent the laptop from powering on or even charging if the battery has been left completely discharged for an extended period of time. You can try disconnecting the battery from the Logic Board to see if it has any effect (including another SMC Reset -- try the keyboard command to do it -- I think I used it on those models). However, the DC-In Board or more likely the Logic Board is bad. I know that the Logic Boards on the older 2006 to 2009 white/black MacBooks started having power issues after about three years.

You should examine the contacts on the Magsafe port on the laptop in case they are dirty or even burnt/damaged. Make sure the Magsafe is fully seated. Small bits of thin metal or even staples can easily get stuck & jammed into the port preventing the charger from fitting properly. I've also discovered that you may need to wiggle or reseat the charger a few times to make proper contact sometimes. You can also try an SMC Reset. Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting Magsafe charging issues:

If your MagSafe cable or power adapter isn't working - Apple Support

Edit: Here are the instructions for an SMC Reset (use the older keyboard keys for non-T2 Macs) including the specific instructions for your exact model:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

No power on old MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.