Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy a photo from a shared album into my library but keep the date and location that the photo was taken

There are some photos in a shared album that I'd like to add to my library. How can I put them in my photo library without the date/location meta data being lost. Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 1:49 AM

Photos is removing many metadata, when we are sharing photos, so we do not accidentally share locations, dates, titles with our photos. It depends on the system version, that has been used, when sharing the photos, which information will have been stripped. If the information has been removed when sharing, it cannot be restored, when downloading the photo from the shared album.

if you want to transfer photos with the metadata preserved, use a different method, for example, a shared folder on iCloud Drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2022 1:49 AM in response to Jennywreny

Photos is removing many metadata, when we are sharing photos, so we do not accidentally share locations, dates, titles with our photos. It depends on the system version, that has been used, when sharing the photos, which information will have been stripped. If the information has been removed when sharing, it cannot be restored, when downloading the photo from the shared album.

if you want to transfer photos with the metadata preserved, use a different method, for example, a shared folder on iCloud Drive.

Jun 19, 2022 8:01 AM in response to léonie

Thank you so much for your reply. I hadn't realised that the metadata was removed due to privacy concerned. That makes sense with so many of us sharing photos.

Maybe I should have given more background information as it might help -

I have an old iPad (iOS 9.3.6) and it has photos on which aren't on iCloud. I want to move these photos to iCloud so I don't lose them. If I try to turn on iCloud photo library it says "Photos synced from iTunes will be removed - Syncing photos via iTunes is not supported when iCloud Photo Library is turned on. 4,402 photos will be removed."

So I thought I could set up a shared album and put them in there, share it with my Mac and then then using my Mac, copy them into my Photo library which is on iCloud.

When I tried with a small number to test, I can see the correct metadata when viewing the photos on the shared album on my Mac but as soon as I try and copy, or export/import the date changes to todays date.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

Thanks again Léonie

Jun 19, 2022 8:40 AM in response to Jennywreny

Hi What you can do with the photos synced from iTunes is copy them to your library/camera roll. Select them and the option should be available. I cant explain exactly how since I already have iCloud enabled.

When you have them all in your camera roll/library, then they will sync with iCloud when you enable it.

EDIT:

See, Copy photos from Photo Library to Camera Roll

here:

https://www.copytrans.net/support/why-cant-i-add-photos-or-videos-to-the-iphone-camera-roll/

How do I copy a photo from a shared album into my library but keep the date and location that the photo was taken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.