Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing and playing high quality music.

Looking for a device to replace my IPhone with, as it relates to storing and playing music. My stereo is high end, need a device that’s similar.

I only hard wire, will not use WiFi. The device cannot require a dongle, I will not use a dongle, they are the weakest link in transmitting sound. The 1/4 cable from the McIntosh, destroys dongles and damages the plug in. I’ve used my Mac book, it does a decent job but is way to large.

im thinking iPad mini, is it available with the old school pin plug in, again, no dongle.

Thanks, Mark.

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 5:25 PM

Hi OBAS2070,

The latest iPad mini (6th generation) does not have a 3.5mm audio port. The only new iPad Apple currently sells with a 3.5mm audio port is the 10.2-in iPad (9th generation).

For something higher-end but slightly older, consider looking at Apple's Certified Refurbished iPad Store. All refurbished iPad models come with a new battery, new outer shell, are backed by a one-year warranty, have free delivery and returns, and more.

Not all of the iPad devices on the Refurbished Store will have a 3.5mm audio port, but here's a Refurbished iPad Air Wi-Fi from 2019, available in Silver or Gold 64GB and Gold 256GB-- containing a 3.5mm audio port to fit your needs.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2022 5:25 PM in response to OBAS2070

Hi OBAS2070,

The latest iPad mini (6th generation) does not have a 3.5mm audio port. The only new iPad Apple currently sells with a 3.5mm audio port is the 10.2-in iPad (9th generation).

For something higher-end but slightly older, consider looking at Apple's Certified Refurbished iPad Store. All refurbished iPad models come with a new battery, new outer shell, are backed by a one-year warranty, have free delivery and returns, and more.

Not all of the iPad devices on the Refurbished Store will have a 3.5mm audio port, but here's a Refurbished iPad Air Wi-Fi from 2019, available in Silver or Gold 64GB and Gold 256GB-- containing a 3.5mm audio port to fit your needs.

Jun 19, 2022 11:22 PM in response to epic5468

Thank you epic, appreciate the help.

Ill search for an IPad 10.2, safe to assume it can store and play music recorded in FLAC? Concerned the older models may not have that capability. If its the only new apple device that takes the 3.5 stereo Jack, it’s probably the way I’ll have to go.

your not aware of any other devices, specifically designed to store and playback music? Hard wired, no WiFi or Bluetooth, lose to much sound quality.

thanks again, M.

Storing and playing high quality music.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.