Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mid-2011 iMac sound has stopped working. I have not changed any settings and my headphones are OK. I moved things around in the sound control paned to no avail

My mid-2011 iMac sound has stopped working. I have not changed any settings and my headphones are OK. I'm having trouble making this support site work- is my computer too old?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 8:51 PM

Open the Sound preference and select the Output tab, plug and unplug your Headphones while watching to see if the Output is switching from Built-in to Headphones port.

If it is not switching and staying on Headphone port, then there is a good chance that the micro switch inside on the Headphone port is stuck open.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2022 8:51 PM in response to JR

Open the Sound preference and select the Output tab, plug and unplug your Headphones while watching to see if the Output is switching from Built-in to Headphones port.

If it is not switching and staying on Headphone port, then there is a good chance that the micro switch inside on the Headphone port is stuck open.

My mid-2011 iMac sound has stopped working. I have not changed any settings and my headphones are OK. I moved things around in the sound control paned to no avail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.