Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet for file transfer

Hey, so is Ethernet used for file transfer? Because I was transferring 100GB to an external drive for minutes and now it says it would take days. I have the hard drive on a dongle and an ethernet cable on the same dongle. Now I don't have the ethernet cable? Is it possible that it's using the Ethernet for file transfer?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 2:02 PM

never mind I connected to the other port on the dongle and the voila! From about a day for 107 GB the ETA became 20 minutes. I guess one of these 2.0 the other 3.0? Or 3.1 or whatever naming they got.

5 replies

Jun 20, 2022 9:16 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

No I mean I am connected via USB and the drive is connected to the MacBook via a dongle and I am transferring files from it to the drive. The hard drive is connected to the USB port on the dongle and the dongle also has an Ethernet port. Can it use the ethernet for system file transfer(offline file transfer). You know like use it as a data transfer cable instead of through USB speeds? Because it was way faster when it was connected and it doesn't make sense. I am talking days of difference in speed.

Jun 20, 2022 9:28 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Apparently it doesn't. I thought it was using the ethernet cable as a data transfer cable to transfer the files because it was way faster and ethernet is faster than usb because my internet speed is faster than USB(at least the standard USB) so I thought it was using that speed to transfer data(not for internet). But apparently not. Then explain to me how yesterday I copy 100 GB of files for like 15 minutes or so and today it says it would take a day. Same configuration

Ethernet for file transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.