📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pop up to remove Admin Role

I recently received a window popup on my MacBook Pro asking me to reassign myself as a standard user. I click “not now” and the system logged me out. The login window shows my name but my photo icon is missing. My password won’t unlock the computer now. The normal bottoms at the bottom to shut down, restart and sleep are also now missing. The internet icon is greyed out now so I can’t connect to reset the password using my Apple ID. I have tried rebooting in recovery mode but it takes me right back to this bogus log on screen. Any ideas how to resolve? First photo shows current state Second photo shows what it looked like before

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 4:41 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 20, 2022 6:08 PM in response to TheSchrum

TheSchrum wrote:

I recently received a window popup on my MacBook Pro asking me to reassign myself as a standard user.

I click “not now” and the system logged me out.

The login window shows my name but my photo icon is missing. My password won’t unlock the computer now. The normal bottoms at the bottom to shut down, restart and sleep are also now missing. The internet icon is greyed out now so I can’t connect to reset the password using my Apple ID. I have tried rebooting in recovery mode but it takes me right back to this bogus log on screen. Any ideas how to resolve? First photo shows current state Second photo shows what it looked like before

You can always force quit a shutdown by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 sec.

Force Shut down your Mac.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

I see a photo icon...?

What spawned this popup dialog

Were you making changes in Screen Time on your admin account..?

Did you reboot into the Recovery as advised in the login screen...?

Use Screen Time on your Mac - Apple Support

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon

Boot into Internet Recovery (Option Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

• Volume level

• Container level

• Parent drive

Jun 20, 2022 6:41 PM in response to leroydouglas

Settings that I had restricted with require “admin” password to unlock were being changed and I was researching the possible cause at the time when it happened. I and the original owner of the mac And I don’t have any other users so this was strange to see another account. (See photo). Yes I did attempt to beater recovery mode but that is also now locked with a black screen asking for a password. My password won’t unlock.

Pop up to remove Admin Role

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.