Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup 2nd Os installed on volume APFS

I've got Monterey installed on my (newest old)SSD MBP. I added a volume on APFS then installed Os High Sierra from a bootable flash. But then ran into trouble with the setup.

I started to set up without Apple ID and then decided to but it said I had to update ID then rejected the email (though I was sent an email that someone had logged into iCloud??) It's asking me for a folder name? is that the folder on iCloud. I haven't really used it before and have been using the same ID for 3 MBPs, I think?

So how do I set up a separate OS on the same computer?

Thanks for any help.

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 2:11 AM

Q - " So how do I set up a separate OS on the same computer? "

A - Use more than one version of macOS on a Mac

Add an APFS volume

1. Make sure that your Mac is using macOS High Sierra or later.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 22, 2022 5:02 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you for your reply. I am using HS or later, it's installed. I'm just not sure on setup if it is the same as other OS (Monterey) when it gets to "folder name" under my name. Is that the same name that comes up on the login screen? I don't use iCloud, though I am considering it for some things. I don't like to store things in online servers. Anyway, I skipped some items on the set up after "English", but now I'm confused. DOH! Should both OS on same MBP be named the same or different?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jun 23, 2022 2:01 AM in response to believeinlove

Not sure I truly understand " Thank you for your reply. I am using HS or later, it's installed. I'm just not sure on setup if it is the same as other OS (Monterey) when it gets to "folder name" under my name. Is that the same name that comes up on the login screen? "

To switch from Monterey to High Sierra or newer in the dual-boot setup. The user would need to Start the computer from a Cold Boot holding the Option key.

This would load the Startup Manager and offer you the choice to boot to Monterey or High Sierra or newer. You would choose which ever of the two options, Monterey or High Sierra

How to setup 2nd Os installed on volume APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.