Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Monterey mouse waking Mac, did something change from BigSur to Monterey?

I did upgrade my iMac to Monterey a week a go. Everything else is working ok, but now my Mac is waking up randomly from sleep, and from the apple keyboard and mouse movements too. With BigSur my Mac did not wake up, unless I pressed the button on the backside. Is there something different with Monterey in that regard, like in Energy Saving or something else? Now I can't do anything on my desk without waking mac. I do want it to go sleep when I don't use it, and since I have a hybrid disk (HDD+SSD), I don't want my HDD running at daytime when I'm not present or night time. Is there something I need to change, to go back to previous state, so that only power button can wake up Mac?

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 1:12 PM

remot-e888 wrote:

but now my Mac is waking up randomly from sleep, and from the apple keyboard and mouse movements too.

As far back as I can remember pressing any key or mouse movement would wake my iMac from sleep. However, working on my desk while the iMac sleeps does not awaken the iMac, even moving the mouse. I have to click with the mouse to awaken the Mac.

As for the waking from sleep check to see if you have Wake for Network access checked in the System/EnergySaver/Power preference pane.

As for nighttime, I believe it's best to shut down a Mac because that clears out temporary system and app swap and cache files which will help improve performance. Since you have a Fusion drive the startup will be from the SSD portion and should not take long and, thus, not be an inconvenience.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2022 1:12 PM in response to remot-e888

remot-e888 wrote:

but now my Mac is waking up randomly from sleep, and from the apple keyboard and mouse movements too.

As far back as I can remember pressing any key or mouse movement would wake my iMac from sleep. However, working on my desk while the iMac sleeps does not awaken the iMac, even moving the mouse. I have to click with the mouse to awaken the Mac.

As for the waking from sleep check to see if you have Wake for Network access checked in the System/EnergySaver/Power preference pane.

As for nighttime, I believe it's best to shut down a Mac because that clears out temporary system and app swap and cache files which will help improve performance. Since you have a Fusion drive the startup will be from the SSD portion and should not take long and, thus, not be an inconvenience.

Jun 21, 2022 1:12 PM in response to remot-e888

remot-e888 wrote:

I did upgrade my iMac to Monterey a week a go. Everything else is working ok, but now my Mac is waking up randomly from sleep, and from the apple keyboard and mouse movements too. With BigSur my Mac did not wake up, unless I pressed the button on the backside. Is there something different with Monterey in that regard, like in Energy Saving or something else? Now I can't do anything on my desk without waking mac. I do want it to go sleep when I don't use it, and since I have a hybrid disk (HDD+SSD), I don't want my HDD running at daytime when I'm not present or night time. Is there something I need to change, to go back to previous state, so that only power button can wake up Mac?

Things always change with a macOS upgrade...

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Put your Mac to sleep or wake it - Apple Support

Put your Mac to sleep or wake it - Apple Support

Mac OS Monterey mouse waking Mac, did something change from BigSur to Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.