Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When using Uninstall Malwarebytes for Mac, what is the procedure if I am using Firefox and not Safari?

When using Uninstall Malwarebytes for Mac, what is the procedure if I am using Firefox and not Safari?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 2:15 PM

Get rid of all anti-virus and any so-called Mac cleaning software. Simply unnecessary unless you want it to interfere with normal use of your Mac and give you false positives that scare the **** out of you.

There are no self-replicating viruses, or PC-specific viruses/trojans that can run on macOS. The operating system is shielded from malware installation as it is on a read-only partition, and there are other built-in security measures on macOS that do not exist on Windows or Linux. If you are not smart about where you download software (e.g. only from the original developer), then you have little to nothing to be concerned about unless you click the wrong link on a advertisement polluted website.

The last time I found anything serious on a Mac was back in 1994 when I was running System 7 on a PowerBook 540C, and a Windows user shared an infected Word document with me. Otherwise, nothing since except adware that Malwarebytes removed.

Do not place links to our profiles in the body of your post. One only needs to click on our screen names in the thread to get that information.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2022 2:15 PM in response to cvg726

Get rid of all anti-virus and any so-called Mac cleaning software. Simply unnecessary unless you want it to interfere with normal use of your Mac and give you false positives that scare the **** out of you.

There are no self-replicating viruses, or PC-specific viruses/trojans that can run on macOS. The operating system is shielded from malware installation as it is on a read-only partition, and there are other built-in security measures on macOS that do not exist on Windows or Linux. If you are not smart about where you download software (e.g. only from the original developer), then you have little to nothing to be concerned about unless you click the wrong link on a advertisement polluted website.

The last time I found anything serious on a Mac was back in 1994 when I was running System 7 on a PowerBook 540C, and a Windows user shared an infected Word document with me. Otherwise, nothing since except adware that Malwarebytes removed.

Do not place links to our profiles in the body of your post. One only needs to click on our screen names in the thread to get that information.

Jun 21, 2022 1:46 PM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas’s Profile - Apple Community

Thanks for the quick reply. The instructions I have are to relaunch Safari holding the shift key down; I am not sure if this would work with Firefox. I am just looking ahead. I had Catalina up for several years with Norton 360 on it. All of a sudden it was no longer able to find a network. I have gone through all the steps, and many hours, trying to revover from my Time Machine backup from before the error but nothing has worked. I am going to offload my data to other media and then use Command-Option-R to do a clean install of Monterey and then copy my data back to the drive. There will be no Norton on it. I know MAC is fairly safe from malware, worms, Trojans, viruses, etc., but I want to be sure I can handle it if something happens, hence this question. I am using a second system, Linux Ubuntu Mate, to communicate on-line in the interim.

Jun 21, 2022 2:00 PM in response to VikingOSX

https://discussions.apple.com/profile/VikingOSX

Thanks for that info. The instructions I have involving Safari are under Additional Steps If Necessary. I am now assuming the Help Menu will be sufficient to get me past any malware problems. As you may see from my other reply my Linux system and my iPhone are working quite well from my Wi-Fi so I knew the Can't Find a Network problem was with my Catalina system. The clincher was when I used ethernet straight through to one of the Thunderbolt ports, it worked immediately for everything except Norton. After rebooting, even that wouldn't work anymore.

Jun 21, 2022 2:06 PM in response to cvg726

cvg726 wrote:

Thanks for that info. The instructions I have involving Safari are under Additional Steps If Necessary. I am now assuming the Help Menu will be sufficient to get me past any malware problems. As you may see from my other reply my Linux system and my iPhone are working quite well from my Wi-Fi so I knew the Can't Find a Network problem was with my Catalina system. The clincher was when I used ethernet straight through to one of the Thunderbolt ports, it worked immediately for everything except Norton. After rebooting, even that wouldn't work anymore.

Remove Norton according to the developer's instructions.

Jun 21, 2022 2:27 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

That was done. It didn't help. It took Norton out of my Network preferences, but Wi-Fi still could not find a network. Went through my router settings, all good. Linux system and iPhone working fine from the same Wi-Fi. Ethernet worked with everything when first connected but on reboot it wouldn't work anymore. Somewhere in the bowels of the software something basic changed. If I had a few weeks to devote to it, I might find it. However, I was going to upgrade to Monterey anyway; I am just going to do it in a more immediate and round about way than I was going to. My research showed that this is not the first time such an occurrence has happened.

Jun 21, 2022 2:41 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks, I figured that one out by looking at the replies. It's my first time using Community Support; I'm learning. I am very safe with my browsing on-line. I have been using Norton in one manner or another since 1980. This is the first time I have ever had a problem with it. BTW another downside is - it's expensive. Glad to hear someone verifying how safe Mac is. Linux, because of its rarity, is extremely safe also. I do share a lot of E-mails and info with people on Windows and Mac machines so I tend to try to be careful. Thank you very much for the insights.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.