Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XProtect.app unchecked in Full Disk Access pane of System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy

Just noticed that in Monterey 12.4, XProtect.app is showing up in the Full Disk Access pane of System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy, and it is unchecked. It is not showing up in Files and Folders.

This seems odd, as XProtect is part of the builtin security framework for Mac OS, and it needs access to anywhere an application is located, so that it can be checked on launch as needed. I would think it would be enabled by default, invisible in these panes, and not controllable by users through the GUI.

XProtect.App on my Mac is located in what appears to be the correct folder (/Library/Apple/System/Library/CoreServices), it has a valid code signature, and it is cleared by VirusTotal.

Therefore, it seems it's unlikely that it's been hacked, but conceivably malware altered its permissions.

Since all my other devices (both iPhones and Macs) have been systematically hacked, just checking to see what others here see on their Macs, in an abundance of caution. to see if this is normal or not.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 9:16 AM

builtinbc wrote:

Just noticed that in Monterey 12.4, XProtect.app is showing up in the Full Disk Access pane of System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy, and it is unchecked. It is not showing up in Files and Folders

Can you show a screen shot of this situation...

Shift Command 5

Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac - Apple Support

You cannot tamper with the XProtect part of the quarantine system, as it is stored in folders which are protected by SIP.

what is the status of SIP(?) from your Terminal.app copy and paste:

csrutil status

Also from Terminal lets see the GateKeeper status, copy and Paste:

spctl --status

also Checking The Status Of Filevault encrypted copy & paste:

fdesetup status

Xprotext shows up in Full Disk Access and by default is unchecked— this seems normal

Xprotect is not restricted in Files and Folders (ie not listed)— this seems normal

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2022 9:16 AM in response to builtinbc

builtinbc wrote:

Just noticed that in Monterey 12.4, XProtect.app is showing up in the Full Disk Access pane of System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy, and it is unchecked. It is not showing up in Files and Folders

Can you show a screen shot of this situation...

Shift Command 5

Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac - Apple Support

You cannot tamper with the XProtect part of the quarantine system, as it is stored in folders which are protected by SIP.

what is the status of SIP(?) from your Terminal.app copy and paste:

csrutil status

Also from Terminal lets see the GateKeeper status, copy and Paste:

spctl --status

also Checking The Status Of Filevault encrypted copy & paste:

fdesetup status

Xprotext shows up in Full Disk Access and by default is unchecked— this seems normal

Xprotect is not restricted in Files and Folders (ie not listed)— this seems normal

Jul 20, 2022 11:00 AM in response to PRP_53

Has anyone heard anything further about Xprotect.app appearing unchecked in the "full disk access" pane? I have heard that some add on malware protection apps do such during the installation process but being that I have none, that's not the case for me. XProtect.app continues to reappear daily in the full disk access pane after I remove it.

Barring info, I guess I'll plop down some funds and get add on malware detection and mitigation software :(

P.s. For any continuing to believe MacOS is impervious to malware if one is cautious, read 12.5 security content, study and understand some of these are zero click and in the wild.

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.5 - Apple Support

Jun 29, 2022 8:52 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

After a bit of digging around, there does seem to have been some recent changes to XProtect in recent versions of Monterey (https://eclecticlight.co/2022/06/12/last-week-on-my-mac-introducing-xprotect-remediator-successor-to-mrt/) which appears to have introduced XProtect.app in CoreServices. There's also some discussion here (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/clamxav-says-found-trojan-in-xprotect-app.2338293/) around ClamXAV false positives for this new XProtect.app from March.

I'm not saying I have the answers here, and I'm still unsure why it would appear in the privacy prefs, but it's looking perhaps more benign/buggy than malicious.

P.S. Looking at today's EtrecheckPro report, I'm seeing XProtect and XProtectPayload updates in June on my machines, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Jul 21, 2022 1:44 AM in response to BleedingEdgeTech

I don't think anybody says Monterey is impervious to malware.

All these vulnerabilities, however, could only be exploited if the user installs a malevolent application.

No third party "security" software can prevent that. These vulnerabilities are actually bugs in the OS that need fixing.

That is why keeping the OS up to date, especially the security updates that are often done, is very important.

If you were download and install an application that exploited one of these bugs, no bitdefender, symantec or whatnot would do anything about it.

Jun 23, 2022 11:24 AM in response to leroydouglas

Same here, XProtect.app showed up in my “full disk access” control panel and was unchecked. I’m sure this was recent and clueless how it got there.

if I’m not mistaken being in that pane and unchecked would normally limit an apps access where as being checked would grant more access to the app.

apple silicon m1 mbp sip, gatekeeper, and fv enabled.

Jun 29, 2022 7:22 AM in response to builtinbc

Interesting, XProtect is appearing at all in Security & Privacy >> Full Disk Access

It certainly does Not show up in my Setups running Monterey 12.4 on Mac Mini M1 and M1 MBA also Monterey 12.4

Q - " it has a valid code signature, and it is cleared by VirusTotal.

A - Would not trust any Third Party Application or in this case a Website that purports to scans any of my computers

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The next best thing for us to having an actual On-Hand experience on this computer is to follow the steps below

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Jun 29, 2022 8:41 AM in response to builtinbc

Same here - XProtect appears as is unchecked.

FWIW, I would not expect it to appear at all, since this is part of the system and obviously needs access.

The most obvious example is the Finder - nobody would consider denying it access to the drives, but still it does NOT appear in Full Disk Access. I think the same applies to all the relevant system services - probably everything in /System/Applications and /System/Library/CoreServices is exempt from these restrictions.

Jun 29, 2022 11:41 AM in response to leroydouglas

Leroy, apologies for the delay in responding. SIP and FileVault are enabled and spctl reports "assessments enabled" also.

P. Phillips - thank you for your suggestions. I'm familiar with EtreCheck and find it a very useful and trusted tool, thanks. I will respectfully decline your suggestion to post the output here, because there is a high probability that those responsible for hacking my devices know I've posted here and are monitoring this discussion, and the full output contains information that could facilitate tweaking to further avoid evasion. EtreCheck is, of course, a "third-party app". VirusTotal is not exactly an app, but a powerful web-based consensus virus and malware scanning tool that scans URLs and files on demand with over 60 tools and reports the calls of each, as well as a lot of other useful information. (There are desktop apps available as an interface, but the web engine submission portal works just fine in most cases in my experience). Its contributors include all the major antivirus/malware software companies.

Thanks to BleedingEdgeTech, Luis, and mbp_uk for your helpful feedback as well.

Jul 20, 2022 11:26 AM in response to BleedingEdgeTech

If it helps put your mind at rest, this occurred on two separate machines that I wiped only few months ago (full disk erasure via recovery mode, fresh Monterey) and have installed very little third party software since. I'm extremely careful about what I install and where I install it from, and use a small suite of trusted security software from the outset. Given this, and based on what I've read around recent changes to XProtect, I'd be very surprised if this was the result of an infection or zero day exploit. It's not impossible, but I have to imagine in this case, it's highly unlikely.

With regards to security software, they shouldn't really interfere with your disk access settings beyond asking for their own permissions.

XProtect.app unchecked in Full Disk Access pane of System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.