Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you create a simple app without knowing how to code

I am looking to create an app on the app store - some background on the app: Just to show options of services provided and how to contact the correct people for that services.

So I want to figure out the costs involved and I see there is the $100 a year membership + $25 joining fee but would I be able to create the app then and add it to the app store without knowing how to code?

And can it be done on a pc?

Thanks for any help!

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 8:44 AM

FanieMalherbe wrote:

So I want to figure out the costs involved and I see there is the $100 a year membership + $25 joining fee but would I be able to create the app then and add it to the app store without knowing how to code?

Thanks for any help!

You or someone else that knows how to code must write the app.

No. Currently, it requires iPadOS 15, or a Mac running macOS 12.4 and the current version of Xcode IDE.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2022 8:44 AM in response to FanieMalherbe

FanieMalherbe wrote:

Thanks for any help!

You or someone else that knows how to code must write the app.

No. Currently, it requires iPadOS 15, or a Mac running macOS 12.4 and the current version of Xcode IDE.

Jun 23, 2022 3:11 PM in response to FanieMalherbe

FanieMalherbe wrote:

I am looking to create an app on the app store - some background on the app: Just to show options of services provided and how to contact the correct people for that services.

That app might run afoul of the app store review requirements (see below), particularly as what you’re describing is probably better off presented as as a website. And a website is device-independent, too.

Alternatives? You can use a QR code to get folks to the website, if you want. (Following QR code is from Wikipedia, and links to Wikipedia when scanned.)

In addition to the developer-related info in the previous reply, Swift and Playgrounds can be used for the app. Xcode is not a requirement for app store submissions, per Apple. But you would need a paid developer program membership for the app store, as mentioned. You would need a Mac or iPad for access to the Playgrounds app. Or yes, a Mac and Xcode. Swift isn’t too bad to code, and there are educational materials available from Apple and otherwise.

More info on Swift, Playgrounds, and submissions: Swift Playgrounds - Apple

All that written… Section 4.2 of the app review guidelines might be a problem for this proposed app:

4.2 Minimum Functionality Your app should include features, content, and UI that elevate it beyond a repackaged website. If your app is not particularly useful, unique, or “app-like,” it doesn’t belong on the App Store.If your App doesn’t provide some sort of lasting entertainment value or adequate utility, it may not be accepted. Apps that are simply a song or movie should be submitted to the iTunes Store.Apps that are simply a book or game guide should be submitted to the Apple Books Store.

Can you create a simple app without knowing how to code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.