You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I turned the Mac back on and pressed command R, the question mark still comes back.

I have done a factory reset as directed. Now the only thing that comes on the screen is a flashing question mark and apple support website which told me to turn off computer, turn back on and use command + R. After doing so, the question mark still comes back.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 7:28 AM

4 replies

Jun 24, 2022 9:32 AM in response to Karynjg

Command + R brings up the Recovery Panel at startup. You start from there to reinstall the OS and once complete, you don't do it again.

The referenced site didn't work for you?

I suspect whatever OS installation you did failed. You need to start over and mrnonaustralianguy offers a good site to start with but your have to follow the steps precisely and skip nothing that applies to your situation.

Here's another one: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Jun 24, 2022 9:37 PM in response to ku4hx

Thank you for your reply. The Power on, Command + R step does not work. The question mark still comes up on the screen. I called apple support and he had me try 3 different way of pressing keys after startup. Nothing helped. Next, I will take the Mac into the Apple store to get this issue resolved.

When I turned the Mac back on and pressed command R, the question mark still comes back.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.