Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I determine an external drive's macOS version?

I have an SSD that I know will not boot my Mac Studio.

By examining the drive's contents, how can I determine which version of macOS is installed on it?

Thanks.

Mac Studio

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 12:44 PM

In AppleScript, without having to launch Disk Utility this will allow you to pick what is in the /Volumes folder (in particular, a mounted external drive) and display the information shown in the dialog below. Just copy/paste into the Script Editor, click the compile button, and run… I don't have an external bootable drive with me (traveling) to test that functionality.

use framework "Foundation"
use AppleScript version "2.4" -- yosemite or later
use scripting additions

property NSDictionary : a reference to current application's NSDictionary
property SysVersion : "Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist"

set VolPath to POSIX path of (choose folder default location (POSIX file "/Volumes" as alias)) as text

if VolPath = "/" then
	set fullPath to (VolPath & text 14 thru -1 of SysVersion)
else
	set fullPath to POSIX path of (VolPath & SysVersion) as text
end if

set dict to NSDictionary's dictionaryWithContentsOfFile:fullPath
set theOS to (dict's valueForKey:"ProductUserVisibleVersion") as text
set buildVersion to (dict's valueForKey:"ProductBuildVersion") as text
display dialog "macOS " & theOS & " (" & buildVersion & ")" with title "macOS Drive Version"
return

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2022 12:44 PM in response to Al Hatch

In AppleScript, without having to launch Disk Utility this will allow you to pick what is in the /Volumes folder (in particular, a mounted external drive) and display the information shown in the dialog below. Just copy/paste into the Script Editor, click the compile button, and run… I don't have an external bootable drive with me (traveling) to test that functionality.

use framework "Foundation"
use AppleScript version "2.4" -- yosemite or later
use scripting additions

property NSDictionary : a reference to current application's NSDictionary
property SysVersion : "Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist"

set VolPath to POSIX path of (choose folder default location (POSIX file "/Volumes" as alias)) as text

if VolPath = "/" then
	set fullPath to (VolPath & text 14 thru -1 of SysVersion)
else
	set fullPath to POSIX path of (VolPath & SysVersion) as text
end if

set dict to NSDictionary's dictionaryWithContentsOfFile:fullPath
set theOS to (dict's valueForKey:"ProductUserVisibleVersion") as text
set buildVersion to (dict's valueForKey:"ProductBuildVersion") as text
display dialog "macOS " & theOS & " (" & buildVersion & ")" with title "macOS Drive Version"
return

How do I determine an external drive's macOS version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.