Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac fan runs continiously

What causes my iMac fan to run continuously?

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 3:10 PM

I have no idea but give this a try:  How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies

Jun 24, 2022 5:58 PM in response to eeking33

As iMac have been produced without interruption since 1998 in five broad families and easily hundreds of variants. how about sharing your iMac's sub-model, the part with a year and sometimes modified with Early, Mid, and Late. That can be important. For example, I've seen a lot of reports of hard drive fan issues in 21.5-inch, Mid 2011 iMacs.

The sub-model is easily available from "About this Mac... in your Apple menu:

Jun 24, 2022 3:18 PM in response to eeking33

When resetting the SMC it is wise to disconnect all wired peripherals including hubs, EHDs, scanners, printers, cameras etc. Also for a SMC reset to be effective please do the reset 3-4 times back to back as it does not always work the first time.

If the resets do not work, that means you may have a hardware issue, in that case please take the computer to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to have it diagnosed and serviced.

iMac fan runs continiously

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.