Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone stolen. Find my iPhone Off

How can I retrieve my stolen iPhone 12 in the streets of Lagos Nigeria 😭.. I still got imei and serial number

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 8:57 PM

6 replies

Jul 6, 2022 2:21 AM in response to muguy

Not only Findmy Allows you to find your iPhone. the IMEI, Serial Number, SEID and other details at the back of my phone carton can also help me find my iPhone but these details can only be efficiently used when inputed on a software that can make efficient use of it. e.g high tech military equipments used in the police force or army, therefore it would make so much sense if apple would kindly help contact the local authorities with these details on my behalf so they can help retrieve my phone since that is the only option left when find my phone is turned off and Obviously my phone was picked pocketed in Ojodu Berger Lagos.

Jul 6, 2022 7:31 AM in response to Preshilee

Apple, like any consumer products company, does not take any active role when it comes to peoples lost or stolen personal property. They provide an autonomous system (Find My) that is purely, 100% under the owners control. You chose not to use it.

But your property is your property. Apple doesn’t assume any responsibility nor role in finding it for you. Stolen property is a matter for law enforcement, not a consumer product company.

Jul 6, 2022 10:28 AM in response to Michael Black

It would be fair enough to consumers if Apple connects there consumers to a credible and reliable Local Law enforcement agency in their geographical area. So they can retrieve there stolen device. In a country like Nigeria, things are done fraudulent and a lot of time is wasted except you know someone in power, So therefore it would help a lot in scaling through all those circumstances. Sigh...I paid $800 for the device 😭.. that’s a lot of money where I’m from. I’m definitely worth the work.

Apple, knew better that Find My would be the best option to retrieve your phone when stolen, why did they not make it as a part of the phone, just like the speaker and screen and front camera attached to the phone. It’s not suppose to be a choice. My apple device is suppose to think and work for me, it’s also a robot not a toy. Therefore the creator should make it work to it’s efficiency for the consumers and not make it an option to choose when knowing that if you picked the wrong option then You’d be in hot soup.

Jul 6, 2022 5:48 PM in response to Preshilee

It has to be an option. Apple cannot force anyone to make their personal property trackable via the internet. Many people would see such mandatory location tracking as a huge violation of their rights of how they choose to use their own personal property.

And bear in mind that the Apple is entirely blind, deaf and dumb when it comes to the Find My system. It is under an owners control to enable, or disable as they wish. Apple is unaware if any owner is using it or not. Apple is not tracking anyones device. They don’t know where it is or when or if it goes missing. They don’t take reports of lost or stolen property and have no mechanism for anyone to report such issues. They don’t seek or track people’s private property and they do not notify anyone of where their property is.

The Find My system is designed to put the power to track, or not track, your own personal property in your hands. Apple is unaware of whether you use it or not, and that is specifically how they designed it to be. It’s use, or not, is entirely in the hands of device owners and Apple has nothing to do with it other than providing the autonomous system FInd My runs on.

So for a variety of legal and ethical reasons, Apple is never going to take any active role in peoples lost or stolen personal property. No consumer products company does so.

You talk about how expensive your device was to you and how much you valued it. So why didn’t you simple enable the slider for Find My in your iCloud settings? Why is it now someone else’s issue to track or find it for you?

iPhone stolen. Find my iPhone Off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.