Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad OS 15.5 home screen icons per row

iPad OS 15.5 home screen icons seem locked to 6 per row in landscape mode. How can I change it to 5 per row, and add more rows to the page?

Tried large icons in settings, but doesn't work.

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 9:02 AM

Switching between Portrait and Landscape makes no difference other than switching columns vs. rows…

• With Widgets - Portrait (6 rows x 4 columns) to Landscape (4 rows x 6 columns) - 24 icon array
  • Without Widgets - Portrait (6 rows x 5 columns) to Landscape (5 rows x 6 columns) - 20 icon array

iPad models with smaller screens differ in having a smaller grid array. While these models may display fewer rows/columns - rotation between Portrait and Landscape orientation should not change the total viewable icons on each Home Screen.

There are clear differences between iPadOS14 (and earlier) and iPadOS15. iPadOS14 lacked the ability to add Widgets to Home Screens. Instead, the Landscape Today View could be pinned - compressing the icon first Home Screen array. This view was not available in Portrait.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2022 9:02 AM in response to Ron Ellis

Switching between Portrait and Landscape makes no difference other than switching columns vs. rows…

• With Widgets - Portrait (6 rows x 4 columns) to Landscape (4 rows x 6 columns) - 24 icon array
  • Without Widgets - Portrait (6 rows x 5 columns) to Landscape (5 rows x 6 columns) - 20 icon array

iPad models with smaller screens differ in having a smaller grid array. While these models may display fewer rows/columns - rotation between Portrait and Landscape orientation should not change the total viewable icons on each Home Screen.

There are clear differences between iPadOS14 (and earlier) and iPadOS15. iPadOS14 lacked the ability to add Widgets to Home Screens. Instead, the Landscape Today View could be pinned - compressing the icon first Home Screen array. This view was not available in Portrait.

Jun 26, 2022 7:14 AM in response to Ron Ellis

As you may have discovered, update to iPadOS15 introduced the ability to add Widgets to your Home Screens - some being added to your first Home Screen, by default, during the initial update to iPadOS 15.x.

Widgets placed on a Home Screen now individually occupy one or more elements of a fixed 4x6 icon grid array. Home Screens without Widgets retain the familiar 5x6 icon grid. Other than placement of Widgets, App or App folders within the fixed array grids, you cannot alter the layout.

Jun 26, 2022 8:33 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for reply. I think your answer about 5X6 grid applies to portrait mode. I use landscape mode a lot, and it always goes to 6x4 or more mode. I did hide all default widgets at the start

Tried all the wiggling to move apps down to create 5 per row, but it always snaps back to 6 per row in landscape.

After all these years of ability to alter layouts, looks like Apple now says "do it my way".

iPad OS 15.5 home screen icons per row

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.