Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access Photos Library photos for desktop/screensaver

This is an issue that's been posted about more than once. Most solutions offered seem to come down to re-installing or updating the system, and mostly this doesn't seem to help.

In my case, the photos I do have access to are in "Albums," a subfolder of a "Photos" folder that seems to be local on my MacBook, but which I can't locate outside of the Desktop pane in System Preferences. The photos in my photos system library (Users/[user]/Pictures/Photos Library aren't available.

This seems to me to be related to iCloud, among other things. Because, aside from those miscellaneous couple hundred in "Albums," my photos are all in the cloud. But how I get the desktop appearance system preferences to point to the cloud, I don't know.

If anyone has a solution better than re-installing the system, I'll be grateful. (I'm running OS 12.4 on a brand new 2020 MacBook Air with the M1 chip).

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 2:45 AM

Rob Ehle wrote:

This seems to me to be related to iCloud, among other things. Because, aside from those miscellaneous couple hundred in "Albums," my photos are all in the cloud. But how I get the desktop appearance system preferences to point to the cloud, I don't know.

Is "Optimiere Mac Storage" enabled for your iCloud Photos Library? Only the photos that have been downloaded from iCloud in the full resolution to the Mc can be used for the Desktop and Screensaver.

Try to force the download from iCloud by viewing all photos enlarged in Photos, before you try to select them for the Desktop & Screensaver.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2022 2:45 AM in response to Rob Ehle

Rob Ehle wrote:

Is "Optimiere Mac Storage" enabled for your iCloud Photos Library? Only the photos that have been downloaded from iCloud in the full resolution to the Mc can be used for the Desktop and Screensaver.

Try to force the download from iCloud by viewing all photos enlarged in Photos, before you try to select them for the Desktop & Screensaver.

Can't access Photos Library photos for desktop/screensaver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.