Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an iMac as an external display

Hi, I need some help. I have a 2017 21.5” iMac for work, and I have a 2012 27” iMac that I wanted to use as an external display. I’d like to use the 27” as an external display. Is that possible, and if so, how could I do it?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 8:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 10:43 PM

Likely not, however please read Target Display Mode (Target Display Mode). To be perfectly honest Macs were never intended to be external displays for other devices (including other Macs) and the connection if it works is unreliable, expensive (the cabling) and simply not worth the trouble when getting a dedicated external display is simple to set up, dead reliable and cheap.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2022 10:43 PM in response to blg1194

Likely not, however please read Target Display Mode (Target Display Mode). To be perfectly honest Macs were never intended to be external displays for other devices (including other Macs) and the connection if it works is unreliable, expensive (the cabling) and simply not worth the trouble when getting a dedicated external display is simple to set up, dead reliable and cheap.

Using an iMac as an external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.