Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Store Final Cut Pro Libraries on External Storage?

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro with 500GB of storage, about half of which is taken up by my libraries in Final Cut Pro. If I transfer those onto an external hard drive to relieve storage on the built-in hard drive, will I be able to access and use them normally while the external drive is plugged in? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 10:21 AM

Yes.

You just have to first allow FCP "Full Disk Access", so that it can read and write to external drives.

Go to System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy, click "Full Disk Access", click the padlock, enter your password;

click + and add Final Cut Pro to the list. It will look like this:

2 replies

Store Final Cut Pro Libraries on External Storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.