Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone somtimes INSISTS on wanting my passcode

My iPhone SE, has touch ID, which works very well. But sometimes, maybe 5% of the time, it absolutely INSISTS on me typing in my passcode instead. When it asks for my passcode, I press cancel, and try touch ID again instead. Nope, it wants my passcode. Is there some sensible reason for this?

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 9:55 AM

There are certain conditions where your phone will ask for your passcode:

• When you restart the phone
  • If Touch ID fails 4 times
  • If you haven’t opened the phone with Touch ID in 8 hours or more
  • After an update
8 replies

Jun 27, 2022 10:09 AM in response to Dannymac22

Well, no one in this user-to-user forum can answer a “why” question. It may be the way Touch ID is implemented. your fingerprint is stored in volatile memory. When you restart the phone it is retrieved from the “secure enclave” that requires the passcode to access. If you haven’t used the phone for a while it may be assumed that you have lost it, and the volatile memory (which contains other secure information) is cleared for security reasons.

And I like Bubba’s answer also.

Jun 27, 2022 10:16 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yes, that's reasonable that if you haven't opened up your phone in "a while" it might call for some backup proof, but the assumption that when I go to sleep, and don't open up my phone for 8 hours and one minute, my fingerprint is automatically considered "suspect" really makes no sense. 8 hours isn't really "a while". I guess I can see that, say, if I don't open my phone for a whole day or two, it might be considered odd.

Granted that no one in this user forum can answer why Apple chose to do this. Sure would be nice to get an explanation from Apple.

iPhone somtimes INSISTS on wanting my passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.