Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad update

I have been trying to update my iPad. But it’s been on “requesting update” ever since. It’s not letting me update.

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 1:33 PM

That is indeed a first generation iPad Pro. Which you clearly have not updated in years. That device was released in 2015. So seven years ago.

Since you haven't updated it in years, you'll need to use a computer with iTunes (Windows) or Finder (Mac) to update it at this point.

See these two links:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes - Apple Support

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2022 1:33 PM in response to amandeepfromerith

That is indeed a first generation iPad Pro. Which you clearly have not updated in years. That device was released in 2015. So seven years ago.

Since you haven't updated it in years, you'll need to use a computer with iTunes (Windows) or Finder (Mac) to update it at this point.

See these two links:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes - Apple Support

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

Jun 27, 2022 1:22 PM in response to amandeepfromerith

Please go to Settings > General > About > Model and report back what exact model you have.

I suspect you don't actually own an iPad Pro. Every iPad Pro model ever sold by Apple is capable of running the current iPadOS 15.5. The fact you have an iPad running iOS 12.1.1 would be a very old device, which is likely not able to be updated past iOS 12.5.5.

iPad update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.