Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore deleted messages

Can I restore deleted messages on my iPhone?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 3:05 PM

Unfortunately, if your messages were synced with iCloud, it will not be possible to recover them. When you delete something on your phone that is synced with iCloud, it disappears completely.

If your messages were not synced with iCloud but were located locally on your iPhone, then you can try to restore from an iCloud Backup from the time they were available on the phone.

You can read here how to restore from an iCloud Backup:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2022 3:05 PM in response to joelene178

Unfortunately, if your messages were synced with iCloud, it will not be possible to recover them. When you delete something on your phone that is synced with iCloud, it disappears completely.

If your messages were not synced with iCloud but were located locally on your iPhone, then you can try to restore from an iCloud Backup from the time they were available on the phone.

You can read here how to restore from an iCloud Backup:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Jun 27, 2022 3:11 PM in response to joelene178

Can I restore deleted messages on my iPhone?

Possibly, but it's complicated at best.

The iPhone would have had to be regularly backing up to a Mac......AND......the Mac would have had to be backing up regularly to another external hard drive using Time Machine.

No need to go into further detail unless both of these conditions existed.

Restore deleted messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.