Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synced my library to the cloud with iTunes Match & lost all "loved" settings

My iTunes library on my Mac is comprised of downloaded tracks and CD rips. Over the years I've marked tracks as "Loved" and curated playlists based on those.

Yesterday I decided to subscribe to iTunes Match and keep my previous library synced to the cloud and my iPhone. I left that running overnight.

This morning the process has completed and while all my music is present, all my "loved" settings have disappeared.

I have a back up of the Music Library.musiclibrary container, which I took before iTunes Match was enabled, and taken the following steps with no success:

1st Steps

1. Closed iTunes and copied Music Library.musiclibrary to the Music folder to replace the existing Music Library.musiclibrary
  2. When I start iTunes again there is no change to the "Loved" settings

2nd Steps

1. Closed iTunes and copied Music Library.musiclibrary to the Music folder to replace the existing Music Library.musiclibrary
  2. Start iTunes while holding the Option key so that it asks for a library file then browse to the new Music Library.musiclibrary
  3. The following error message is displayed:

Please tell me there is a way I can restore my "loved" settings.

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 11:12 AM

Ok because I have a backup of the Music Library.musiclibrary I was able to resolve this.

Firstly the problem was caused because I had changed my Music Media file location to:

/macOS/Users/user/Music

Instead of the default:

/macOS/Users/user/Music/Music/Media

NOTE: The /macOS/Users/user/Music/Music folder did not exist for me.

This meant that prior to iTunes Match my library file was located here:

/macOS/Users/user/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary

Anyway to resolve it I created the /macOS/Users/user/Music/Music folder and added my backed up Music Library.musiclibrary file to that folder.

iTunes Match must look in the Music/Music folder by default. So now that I have the library file in the location below it restored my "loved" settings:

/macOS/Users/user/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2022 11:12 AM in response to VicViper9

Ok because I have a backup of the Music Library.musiclibrary I was able to resolve this.

Firstly the problem was caused because I had changed my Music Media file location to:

/macOS/Users/user/Music

Instead of the default:

Anyway to resolve it I created the /macOS/Users/user/Music/Music folder and added my backed up Music Library.musiclibrary file to that folder.

iTunes Match must look in the Music/Music folder by default. So now that I have the library file in the location below it restored my "loved" settings:

Jun 28, 2022 11:44 AM in response to VicViper9

VicViper9 wrote:

/macOS/Users/user/Music

Instead of the default:

Caveat: When iTunes picks up your Music Library file it will also disable Library Sync. It's likely that when you enable Library Sync it will wipe your Loved tracks again.

Solution: Create a playlist called Loved (or whatever) and add all your loved tracks. Then enable Library Sync and once that process is complete you can go to your Loved playlist and love them all again in bulk.

Synced my library to the cloud with iTunes Match & lost all "loved" settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.