Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brick and mortar store would not take Apple Card

I flew into Columbus Ohio this weekend, walked to the Budget Car Rental counter to rent a vehicle previously reserved via Expedia. When the Budget Car Rental employee asked for a credit card, I pulled my Apple Card out of my billfold, and before I could hand it to them instantly said “We don’t accept Apple Cards. Do you have another card?” I mentioned that it was a Mastercard and is accepted everywhere that Mastercards are accepted. They said”we accept Mastercard, just not Apple Card Mastercards. You can read that in the fine print of our contracts.”

Understand that the card was never run, I never got to hand it to the person.

Dumbfounded, I pulled out a Mastercard from a different source, and paid for my contract.

This left me concerned and left me wondering if there are other vendors that can pick and choose which Mastercards to accept. Do I need to carry another card?

please help me understand and thanks in advance.

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 10:53 AM

Yes. Merchants are free to decline the Apple Card. Though in general, it should be possible to use it in most places, its always a good idea to carry a backup card just in case as there is no guarantee it will be accepted everywhere. It seems to be an issue with Budget and Avis from what I can find.

There is no obligation to accept the Apple Card, it's just something that should happen since its MasterCard, but Budget and Avis seem to have thing with cards that have no numbers on them.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2022 10:53 AM in response to Domingi

Yes. Merchants are free to decline the Apple Card. Though in general, it should be possible to use it in most places, its always a good idea to carry a backup card just in case as there is no guarantee it will be accepted everywhere. It seems to be an issue with Budget and Avis from what I can find.

There is no obligation to accept the Apple Card, it's just something that should happen since its MasterCard, but Budget and Avis seem to have thing with cards that have no numbers on them.

Jun 28, 2022 10:58 AM in response to Domingi

Yes, some businesses that want to collect a deposit will not accept Apple Card MasterCard because the card numbers are not printed on the back of the card. This is true of rental car agencies and hotels.

There really isn’t anything to understand, beyond what I wrote above. I frequently rent rooms with my Apple Card and use a site other than Price Line. I also frequently rent SUV’s directly from the rental agencies and avoid the discounters. I rarely have an issue, but I always carry backup credit cards.

I also generally use a credit card that gives me additional benefits above and beyond the 2% back for using Apple Pay with Apple Card MasterCard. Why? I have credit cards from Chase and American Express that allow me to use benefits and avoid paying insurance on my auto rentals.

In my experience (I’m 65), the days of traveling with just one credit card are long gone.

Jun 28, 2022 11:13 AM in response to Phil0124

I rent from Avis and Budget frequently and have no issue with Apple Card. Some locations may be are franchises, I think, and some are corporate. The franchises are more likely to be able to pick and choose the cards. I almost always rent at airports and I suspect those are all corporate locations and have no issue with Apple Card.

The thing they’ll all have to adjust to is MasterCard leading the charge with doing away with mag stripes. This is only a few years off and I’ve read Goldman Sachs is going to be one of the earliest to support the elimination of mag stripes because it will make the card more secure.

Jun 28, 2022 11:35 AM in response to Phil0124

I deal mostly with Avis and Budget, but I’m also a member of their preferred customer club. People don’t seem to value the status of joining clubs. They seems to be more lenient with policy or have less restrictive policy for their club members. just personal experiences, but if you travel, what have you to lose? Get a weekly email or two? I don’t have a big issue with spammy emails, but I also get offers of additional discounts on car rentals, hotels etc.

Brick and mortar store would not take Apple Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.