Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still video under still pictures

This is the coolest video.

Does anyone know how to do this?

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 1:39 AM

Yes, it looks amazing.

As far as I can tell, this involves taking several freeze frames and removing the background in each of them.

There may be some plugin making it a bit easier to do, but it can also be done by hand.

I vaguely recall a video some years ago, probably from rippletraining, explaining how to do something like this.

I will see if I can find it.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2022 1:39 AM in response to Rommel Cinco

Yes, it looks amazing.

As far as I can tell, this involves taking several freeze frames and removing the background in each of them.

There may be some plugin making it a bit easier to do, but it can also be done by hand.

I vaguely recall a video some years ago, probably from rippletraining, explaining how to do something like this.

I will see if I can find it.

Jun 29, 2022 11:19 AM in response to fox_m

fox_m wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any effects in that video other than slow motion in places and although I think I know what you're talking about, I'd still like to see a sample of what the OP is talking about. Any chance of getting a short GIF of the effect from the original clip?

I am sorry I did not make myself clear. I did not mean to imply that the youtube video had that nice effect.

The youtube video was used as the source for that effect.

Here is a short gif - I hope this is ok and gives the general idea.

Jun 29, 2022 2:39 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Okay - this is actually not terribly difficult to do directly in Final Cut (only because of the "natural greenscreen"!)

Here's what I did with that clip on youtube:

Here's what my storyline looks like:

Here's my explanation:

In the storyline is the original clip.

Notice there are 3 "blades" - starting with the playhead at the beginning of the clip, I held down the shift key and typed the right arrow 3 times (advanced 30 frames - or in this project 1 sec.)

At the advanced playhead position, I typed Option-F to create a still frame.

I moved the still frame up over the storyline and set the start of the still at the beginning of the storyline clip and the end at the "cut". [edit:] I set the END of the still at the blade line. During playback, it *ends* at this point.

To make this a little quicker, the next step is to apply Keyer to the still frame. For this particular clip, the grass regions are a perfect green screen. Without it, then rotoscoping or combination masks/keys would be necessary.

If you look closely at the top of the compound images, you'll notice trees and such. The next thing you need to do is keyframe the still image to match (track) those items (trees and columns) at the top. REMEMBER you have to set the keyframes to LINEAR (they will be smooth by default).

To the OP, if you don't know how to do this: turn on the Transform tool in the Viewer. Select the clip that is keyframed and you'll see a red "track" with end points. Right click on the end points and change from "Smooth" to "Linear".

Repeat this process for however many copies you need to use.

You will notice that the stills will "bleed" outside the frame. This will be useful while you are keyframing the position "tracks".

When you have finished, apply a Shape Mask on an "Adjustment Layer" over the entire arrangement of clips and stills and mask out the overlaps.

If you run into trouble, let me know — I'll try to sort it out for you.

Jun 29, 2022 8:31 AM in response to Rommel Cinco

Rommel Cinco wrote:

This is the coolest video.

Does anyone know how to do this?

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Can you describe it a little better? Most of us didn't get to see the video.

(I'm not exactly sure how Moderator censorship works, so I'm curious as to who actually got to see the link! ... and is it still active where you are?)

Jun 29, 2022 8:36 AM in response to fox_m

Fox

I can help you with that.

The OP posted a link to a shared file in iCloud.

Links that allow downloading stuff are routinely deleted by the moderators.

Because I am subscribed to the Final Cut Pro forum, I get new posts in e-mail, and the link was there.

fox_m wrote:

(I'm not exactly sure how Moderator censorship works, so I'm curious as to who actually got to see the link! ... and is it still active where you are?)

Jun 29, 2022 9:15 AM in response to fox_m

Fox, it is a video of Roger Federer's backhand.

There are several still images of Federer and the moving video "catches" up to them (for lack of a better expression).

What makes this more challenging is that the camera is not fixed, it sort of follows the movement.

I could find the video from which it was done, in youtube (but alas not the coolest version...).

It takes the bit from about 15 seconds in, slows it down and adds several still images of Federer, and the live video "catches up" with the stills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3MWyZXEF_I

Still video under still pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.