Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access old device because of two factor authentication

I have an old Ipad 2 I just dusted off. Some years back I gave it to my kids to play with and one of them put a passcode on it which noone can remember anymore. I still have my phone number as my two factor authentication and I used iTunes from my PC to reset the ipad but I can't set it up. Whenever I log in with my AppleID it first asks me for a code from a sms which I supply. Then it thinks alot and asks me for a code from my other apple device. I should mention that I don't own any other apple device. If I put in the only passcode I know ( 0000 ) it tells me I cannot use the passcode for the current device. Si when I log into appleid.apple.com I can see that the ipad has added itself as a two factor authentication device and is asking me for a passcode to itself which it then won't accept because it's the same device.

I can still use my applid on this site and in iTunes on my PC just fine. I just can't use it on the ipad.

I'm at a loss - I feel like apple isn't doing a very good job with it's two factor authentication method here which leaves me with an unusable device because I don't own another apple device? It makes no sense to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iPad 2

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 3:08 PM

You have to generate a code on another Apple Device you own, and log in with that code instead of your password.

I had this happen on a old imac with yosemite.

See this link for some reference on how you make the code

Get sent a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication – Apple Support (UK)

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 28, 2022 3:23 PM in response to TheGudmo

Do you have a trusted phone number on your apple id? Then you can try this:

f you don’t have a trusted device to hand, you can get a verification

1. code sent to your trusted phone number as a text message or phone call.Click “Didn’t get a verification code” on the sign-in screen.
  2. Choose to get the code sent to your trusted phone number.
  3. You’ll receive a text message or phone call from Apple with your
  4. verification code. This text message might include an additional domain
  5. validation line. This line includes the @ symbol, the website name and
  6. your code (for example: @icloud.com #123456 %apple.com).

If this is not working, you need to contact Apple Support at a time that they're open to request account recovery: How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password – Apple Support (UK)

Jun 28, 2022 3:31 PM in response to WheelieNick

Let me guide you through my setup process

1. - Language is chosen
  2. - Network is setup
  3. Location Services enabled/disabled
  4. Appl ID login ( Successful )
  5. 2FA requested and sent through text ( SMS )
  6. Text 2FA confirmed
  7. 2FA requested and sent to my Apple Device ( Wait, what apple device. I don't have any other apple device )
  8. Unable to authenticate with my "other" apple device, switching to text 2FA
  9. Text recieved and sent
  10. Please enter the passcode of your other device ( Wait, I don't have any other device )
  11. Unable to setup your device, you don't have another apple device ( I made that up, but it's bsicly the final reply )

At the end of the process I'm unable to use my Ipad becuase I don't have another device and this one keeps registering itself as both the current and the other device which of course ends in complete failure and the computer says "NO"

Jun 30, 2022 10:25 AM in response to TheGudmo

Okay - So I chose the option to access my IPad without logging in with an Apple ID

But trying to do so from Settings now prompts me with a "Too Many Codes Sent, Enter the last code you recieved, or try again later."

I don't know how long I have to wait but the alst code I got was 44 hours ago.

How long do I have to wait before I can get a new code?

Can't access old device because of two factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.