Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages anomoly

Why cant Pages Find/Replace accept the 'end of line' or 'paragraph' function?

I build club elibrary catalogs with the majority not being capable of 'copy/paste' into Numbers so I have to put them into Pages then reformat so that they can be put into Numbers for easy viewing. I usually do a copy/paste of a 'unique sequence'; i.e. PPGenre; into the find function then paste it into the replace function and edit to whatever I am working on at that moment; i.e. dropping one of the P(aragraph) marks to remove a double paragraph so it becomes one unit instead of two. Then I do the end of unit, usually a double paragraph) and change it to something innoculous such as 5 X's followed by replacing all paragraph marks with the tab mark (this does not seem available as well) then replacing the XXXXX with a paragraph mark which invariably makes one line for each book in the list.

On the old Pages 09, there was a selection in the find/replace at the top of the function that allows the selection of this capability.

Is there any 'workaround' to restore this capability?

WGB

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 1:30 PM

Guess that means, SOMEHOW, I have to get my 10.11 back up and running just to do the editing THAT I NEED TO DO in both Numbers and Pages since Big Sur's apps have lost so much usability in their "upgrades". A few of my original problems with Pages editing have been readded though somewhat differently that I was used to and HABITS are very hard to break.

on 10.11 using Numbers the copy/paste would put two paragraph marks, a capital P with extra down tail next to the first one and it was visible. The only time I remember the backward slant (\) is in the old ClarisWorks and then it was \p as paragraph mark, \t for tabs. etc. . . My ancient DOME finally crapped on me so just lost thousands of images that were from AppleWorks because there was never a conversion application for them like there was for WP or SS docs.

Tks anyway for responding even though it is the 'best answer' by Apple I cannot conscientiously consider it so.

WGB

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2022 1:30 PM in response to VikingOSX

Guess that means, SOMEHOW, I have to get my 10.11 back up and running just to do the editing THAT I NEED TO DO in both Numbers and Pages since Big Sur's apps have lost so much usability in their "upgrades". A few of my original problems with Pages editing have been readded though somewhat differently that I was used to and HABITS are very hard to break.

on 10.11 using Numbers the copy/paste would put two paragraph marks, a capital P with extra down tail next to the first one and it was visible. The only time I remember the backward slant (\) is in the old ClarisWorks and then it was \p as paragraph mark, \t for tabs. etc. . . My ancient DOME finally crapped on me so just lost thousands of images that were from AppleWorks because there was never a conversion application for them like there was for WP or SS docs.

Tks anyway for responding even though it is the 'best answer' by Apple I cannot conscientiously consider it so.

WGB

Aug 23, 2022 12:25 PM in response to Sparkgapper

Think I discovered the 'character background' under the format menu. Click on the 'gear' icon (right of "Character Style" box then select 'Shadow' then click it again since the first one will actually shadow all characters then the second will remove them plus any other 'background' that has somehow been imposed by copy/paste. Now, all I have to do is test this to see if it will do the same on 'other documents' I have on two different machines.

Sparkgapper

Pages anomoly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.