Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Graphics on iMac?

I have a late 2012 iMac and it works great. I am planning on using an external SSD for the OS and the HDD for storage.

This is one that has the thin screen so I would rather not take apart *I don't know how to anyway*

I wanted to know if it is possible to use an external compatible graphics card to use as the main video output? I assume there are better, more updated Graphics that can be used and just wanted to know if that was an option. Or if I would have to get it replaced or if that was even possible. Not sure if they are soldered on

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 9:07 AM

Running from an external USB 3.0 SSD is considerably faster than the internal spinning hard drive and much less invasive than an internal upgrade.

Sadly the 2012 iMac does not support an eGPU.

see > Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Support

Likewise iMac's do not support internal GPU upgrades.

If you need better graphics, then you need a new/newer iMac

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2022 9:07 AM in response to Mike81M

Running from an external USB 3.0 SSD is considerably faster than the internal spinning hard drive and much less invasive than an internal upgrade.

Sadly the 2012 iMac does not support an eGPU.

see > Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Support

Likewise iMac's do not support internal GPU upgrades.

If you need better graphics, then you need a new/newer iMac

External Graphics on iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.