Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does iWeb '09 Save Websites on OSX 10.6.4?

Hi Everyone,
I just had a quick question.
*Where does iWeb '09 save files on your hard drive*. +I'm Running Mac OSX 10.6.4- Snow Leopard+
I have been looking for this answer for a while on the net, and i can't find the file.

Several sites have given me this answer: > Internet Websites wrote:
It keeps all this information in a file called the Domain file. This is located on your computer (username[(Hugh)]/Library/Application Support/iWeb)

I can't find it how much I try; and searching for it doesn't work either!

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Cheer's
Hugh

15" MacBook Pro 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Intel Core i7, 128GB SSD, 512MB Nvidia GT330M, 4GB RAM, 1440x900 Glossy Backlight LED Widescreen

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 5:21 AM

21 replies

Sep 18, 2010 9:48 AM in response to Hugh Grest

The "standard" response in this forum to the location of the Domain.sites2 file is that it is in - Home Folder/Library/Application Support/iWeb.

Sometimes people can't find it because they look in the System Library rather than the user library in their Home folder. Its also possible that its in the user library of another user account on your Mac!

Other times it can't be found in the default location because it isn't there. This can happen sometimes when you transfer all your files to a new Mac.

Another possibility is that YOU put it elsewhere. I build all my sites on separate domain files each of which is stored in its own folder in a "master" folder in my Home folder. The Domain file that is in Home Folder/Library/Application Support/iWeb is the one for the last site that I launched and saved/published. That's the way iWeb works - normally.

I have always thought that it would be more sensible for iWeb to offer the user the choice of where to store the domain file(s). That's what "normal" applications do but then iWeb isn't "normal".

A few months ago I updated iLife on an older Mac. Imagine my surprise when iWeb launched, ask me to not only open a new site but gave me the window to choose where I wanted to store it! This was on a PPC iMac G5 running Leopard.

My point here is that if anybody was faced with a similar situation and happened to choose a logical location like a folder in Home Folder/Sites then, obviously, the domain file won't be in the default location.

In the OP's case, if the site launches in iWeb then the Domain.sites2 file associated with it must be on the hard disk, or a connected external drive, somewhere.

When searching for this file, some people get confused by the way it is represented. It shows as "Domain" if you have file extensions turned off in Finder/Preferences/Advanced or as Domain.sites2 if this is turned on.

Try searching for your domain file with the application that Old Toad mentioned above - Find Any File. When you open this you have the option to search any connected drives. Make sure you do this if you have any.

When I search for "Domain.sites2" it gives me a choice of 143 such files. There are also 143 on my external drive which contains a weekly incremental backup of my hard drive using SuperDuper. When I search the external drive that runs Time Machine I get 1264 domain files so I have plenty to choose from!

Try searching for your domain file with the application that Old Toad mentioned above - Find Any File. When you open this you have the option to search any connected drives. Make sure you do this if you have any.

Oct 4, 2010 8:03 AM in response to mdesignffm

There may be some history involved here as to where iWeb saves websites. I started with iWeb '06 in 2007 and saved my travel web pages without questioning where they were saved. Later, when I set up a second website, iWeb could still create independent sites, unlike with the latest versions of iWeb. And the second site also showed up at User/(your user name)/Sites, where my first site was.

I have never found my websites at user/(your user name)/library/application support/iWeb, and I certainly have never moved any web sites from user/(your user name)/library/application support/iWeb. to User/Sites. So I can only conclude that in some recent version of iWeb, where there could be only one site, iWeb started to save its files at user/(your user name)/library/application support/iWeb.

Does anyone have definitive infomation about where the various versions of iWeb have stored their sites?

Where does iWeb '09 Save Websites on OSX 10.6.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.