Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

81961 a legit apple text message?

81961 sends me a text often now saying “ Your Apple ID Code is: ******. Don't share it with anyone”, is this legit or someone trying to get into my ICloud?

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 8:07 AM

When I receive authentication codes it is to my trusted devices, not via a text so I'm not certain of the exact wording if they request a text to be send to a trusted phone number. After they enter your Apple ID and password, all of your trusted devices automatically receive a notification before a code can be sent via text message to a trusted number. I don't know of a way to have a code sent by text without first notifying all trusted devices or without having a trusted device in their possession.

See the following from Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

If you're signing in and don’t have a trusted device handy that can display verification codes, you can have a code sent to your trusted phone number via text message or an automated phone call instead. Click Didn't Get a Code on the sign in screen and choose to send a code to your trusted phone number. You can also get a code directly from Settings on a trusted device. Learn how to get a verification code.

There may be a method but I don't know of one. To be safe, you may want to change your Apple ID password (they need to enter your password before the code is sent). See: Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2022 8:07 AM in response to JUSTMILLY24

When I receive authentication codes it is to my trusted devices, not via a text so I'm not certain of the exact wording if they request a text to be send to a trusted phone number. After they enter your Apple ID and password, all of your trusted devices automatically receive a notification before a code can be sent via text message to a trusted number. I don't know of a way to have a code sent by text without first notifying all trusted devices or without having a trusted device in their possession.

See the following from Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

If you're signing in and don’t have a trusted device handy that can display verification codes, you can have a code sent to your trusted phone number via text message or an automated phone call instead. Click Didn't Get a Code on the sign in screen and choose to send a code to your trusted phone number. You can also get a code directly from Settings on a trusted device. Learn how to get a verification code.

There may be a method but I don't know of one. To be safe, you may want to change your Apple ID password (they need to enter your password before the code is sent). See: Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Jul 14, 2022 9:54 AM in response to detamac

I got the same text this morning while I was sleeping, PLUS an email sent to my email address saying that someone tried to reset my password and get a passcode. I most certainly did not do this while being asleep. Everything on Apple's community discussions is saying that this is a scam and don't click on anything within the text and don't use that code for anything. I changed my password and made it sign out of all of my devices. I also checked the Find My app and saw a laptop on there that I did not recognize, but it could not find a location on it so I have it set to erase everything on that laptop the second it is turned on, just in case that's a scammer (there is a possibility it could be my old laptop floating around my house somewhere, but I highly doubt it.)

81961 a legit apple text message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.